Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first fill!!!

Well I am happily back home after receiving my first fill today. They used the flouro (recall last weeks fiasco w/out flouro) and it made it a whole lot easier. The fill doctor is also a band surgeon and he said my band looked perfectly placed. My concern and paranoia have kind of resurfaced again now that I have just read the new thread concerning more erosion issues with Lopez so I was glad to at least be told today nothing has slipped or looks odd. My port is kind of flipped on its side which is what made the fill attempt last week so impossible. Rather than being able to go straight down from above, he'll have to go from my left side in. He didn't think I would need port revision surgery anytime soon and said everyones kind of shifts some just with the weight loss. So, if Dr. Lopez proctored in the United States wouldn't all the surgeons he trained use his technique? Lopez apparently trained a popular Oregon Dr. named Emma Patterson who evidently trained the fellow that I am using for my fills. Also depending on the number of patients Lopez does band every year, I wonder what the number would be if he did have the statistical 1-3% erosion cases? I guess if he did 3 patients a day even just four days a week that is 12 per week times 52 weeks equals 624 I think. !% would be 6 or 18 per year... HMMM. It is weird that they were placed at the same time and diagnosed almost at the same time. Anyway glad my fill went well and I was happy to hear everything was intact. Teresa

Great news, Teresa! And now that your fill dr. knows your port, hopefully you'll have no more problems with future fills. Wow, girl, if you've done this good without a fill, what's in store?

Teresa

Congrats on your first fill..I'm sure this will kick start your weight loss again. Glad to hear everything went well and everything is where is should be with your band. The reassurance is great! I had my own reassurance this week with my Dr. ..it sure puts ours minds at ease doesnt it?

Teresa,

I am glad it all went well. Take it easy each day is so different since my fill. I am down about 7lbs since my fill. It is a fickle thing this band. Some days hard to get much of anything down others it is like nothing. Take care and take it slow.

Thanks everyone,

He only put 1 cc. in which he says is standard for a first fill. He likes to do the slow easy sneak up on the right fill thing which is fine by me. I definitely already feel restriction. Dr. Eubanks doesn't require any period of liquids after fills but I am taking it very easy and mainly doing Soups anyways. After the fill we went to red lobster for Soup and I was only able to eat a 1/2 cup and a bit of a biscuit. Had no problems but definitely felt ready to stop when I needed to. Thanks again for the support, Teresa

Yayyy Teresa, I'm glad things went well for you too! You're doing amazing so far, I hope it continues.

What a relief to see your own band and see that it functions correctly!

Congratulations on your first fill.

Yippie Teresa... glad your first fill is done and overwith! My port is tipped and difficult to access as well so I know how you feel! I finally have a Doc that can find it lickedy split and now our insurance will be changing! My first fill was nothing short of traumatic... for me and my Angel that tagged along... the second access to remove the fill wasn't much better... but the third one was JUST RIGHT! Maybe our ports will straighten out and fly right with time!

Congrats.

Darcy

Teresa, that is great news. I hope your drive way easier for you; wasn't it really foggy last time for you. Sounds like it was a great day -- good news reasurring you that your band is perfect, a fill, and a nice lunch to Celebrate. Way to go, girl.

I wanted to tell you that I think one of the photos you attached with the guys who were visiting your bed and Breakfast place, you should crop your face as your avitar. You are just beautiful. In that photo, I cannot remember which star you are photographed with, but your eyes are twinkling and your hair looks great and I just thought, wow, that should be her avitar. something to think about. Great photos. Thanks for sharing your fun experience and photos with us.

Dr. Emma Patterson is the Head of Bariatric Surgery at Legacy Health in Portland. She will be traveling to Minneapolis and will be the Proctor during my surgery teaching my surgeon about the new band they will be putting in me. I will be the first one to have this new band which has several segmented, balloon-type section in the inner part of the band versus one solid bladder. So, the company that produces the band will fly her in to Proctor at the hospital to make sure the surgeons are comfortable with the new band. I was a little concerned being the first, but I thought if she is the expert and she will be right there, might be better to have 2 surgeons than one. I hope it works out that way at least. But she is very famous for lap band surgery. Your Dr. trained her, that is so cool. Small world. I googled her as I wanted to see where she studied and she did her residency in a hospital in New York City I believe.

Teresa, congrats again on your fill and your great day. Much continued success to you!!!!