Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soup at 10 days post op

So I'm 10 days post op and I'm feeling super hungry. I'm allowed Clear Liquids and full liquids which also include strained cream Soups, pudding, and yogurt. The only food that fills me up is greek yogurt but it has to be plain. I can't eat plain so I decided to get vanilla which isn't my favorite and honestly my palette is kinda sick of sweet foods. Soup is okay but not filling at all, so today I decided to try Progressos light potato and bacon without being strained. I chewed each piece up really good and gave it time to go down. I feel fine and satisfied for once. My boyfriend yelled at me saying I should stick to what my doctors say. Opinions/experiences?

Sent from my SM-G900P using BariatricPal

I am 7 days post op and on clear liquids. I would go for a Protein Shake before Soup with potatoes. I would steer clear of the starches.

If you feel fine, you should be okay. You are listening to your body and honestly no one can tell you how your going to do until you figure it out your self. It's so hard eating this clear liquids for so long. I'm tired of sweet stuff too so I'm doing Soup tonight as well. I think as long as you don't over eat or eating bread or Pasta such as whole bunch of carbs then you will be fine. It's gonna be okay. No one really understands what we go through. It's definitely hard

I am with your boyfriend, please follow your surgeons instructions. Hopefully you hired the surgeon because you trusted their medical opinion.

We did not get to be obese by listening to our bodies. We aren't good at it, plus we have no medical training.

You just had major surgery and had your stomach cut apart and sewn back together. I would listen to the medical professional.

I understand what you are going though. I have been there, but it's not forever. This too shall pass and be a distant memory.

I understand the hunger but bacon & potato Soup (while i believe you chewed it to death) wasn't a great choice. Your Dr & seems like your BF just want you to succeed...

I'd like to suggest some Tomato Soup with fat free refried Beans mixed in until thick as pudding. I find the Protein from the beans really sticks with me.

If you take the same logic and mix things into the plain Greek yogurt maybe you can work with that? I've taken peeled, seeded cucumber with a bunch of fresh dill and black pepper - tossed it all in my nutrabullet and it was extremely smooth, filling & tasty.

Wishing you the best!

Sent from my 9020A using BariatricPal

You are so lucky your doc lets you eat Soup, pudding and yogurt at 10 days! I could only have liquids until 21 days. I am now on soft foods, but soup and pudding were definitely not recommended. It is just grand being able to at least eat some things, though! Good luck and try to follow your doc's instructions.....

So I'm 10 days post op and I'm feeling super hungry. I'm allowed clear liquids and full liquids which also include strained cream Soups, pudding, and yogurt. The only food that fills me up is greek yogurt but it has to be plain. I can't eat plain so I decided to get vanilla which isn't my favorite and honestly my palette is kinda sick of sweet foods. Soup is okay but not filling at all, so today I decided to try Progressos light potato and bacon without being strained. I chewed each piece up really good and gave it time to go down. I feel fine and satisfied for once. My boyfriend yelled at me saying I should stick to what my doctors say. Opinions/experiences?

Puree some thinned out Chili, or Beans pureed with broth. It will be filling, on plan, and not require too much digestion from your newly stitched stomach. It doesn't have to be bland to be thin liquids.

Don't trust "chewing it really good".... that is NOT full liquid, or even pureed... and not what you say your plan requires.

Thank you guys, I've read on here being so hungry all the time could be reflux, not hunger. So I'm definitely going to tell my doctor and stick to my doctors orders. I really don't wanna mess this up. I wanna be healthy.

Reflux has been part of my problem this week! Makes me feel hungry all the time if I don't take my Zantac

I was going to recommend Zantac until you can get stronger prescription from your doctor. Many people have that hunger feeling when it is actually reflux. I had it pre-op off and on for years and it would always take me a week to realize "OH! It's reflux!" I'm such a dummy! You think I would have figured it out after the first few times! :D I had same feeling post-op too. You have come to a good conclusion!

I still take Prilosec (otc generic Omeprazole), and if I skip it I get the hungry feeling all day.... which I know for me is just stomach acid. That would be a really good thing to ask your doctor about! Hopefully you will find that an acid blocker kills that hungry feeling.

So my doctor doesn't think its reflux because I am taking omeprazole, but he said I can take tums. So I'm feeling hungry right now. I'm gonna eat and see how I feel and if I feel hungry after I eat I'm going to try a tums.