Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories at each month post op

Hi all,

I am just about to hit the 5 month post op RNY and I am asking advice on how many calories I should be at by this month.

I've been trying to stay around 700 calories but I have noticed in the last month or so that this is increasingly difficult. I am hitting more like 800-950. I can't seem to stay around 700 anymore.

What do you think I should be at or around? Where were you at 5 months out?

I have noticed a slight decrease in the speed of weight loss since I've been eating 100-200 more calories a day but it is so hard to stay at or around 700 nowadays!

HAHA

Another question: when did you start increasing your calories?

Can you give me a little bit of a play-by-play of how many calories you consumed daily for each month out please

I am interested in seeing what everyone's responses are to this.

I have no idea if I'm eating too much, too little or just right at this stage :)

I do workout regularily if this means anything

More info on moi: RNY surgery Sept 21, 2015

total loss to date: 74.4 lbs

any ideas, advice, suggestions etc is much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Heather

The approach after RNY gastric bypass surgery is to control the volume of food per meal and is not focused on calories. As your food volume goes up, your calories will likewise go up. As you near the end of the "Weight Loss" phase and begin to transition into the "Maintenance" phase your body will automatically transition between these phases and the rate of weight loss will dramatically slow down.

One option that you have is controlling content of the food that you eat. Your daily Protein requirement is a combination of the Protein that you obtain from supplements (Protein shakes, protein bars) combined with the amount of protein from your meals. If you concentrate on consuming high protein meals (and you track and monitor your protein intake) then you can reduce your reliance on protein supplements and the calories contained in those supplements. This will allow you to optimize your weight loss. Over time I went from 3 Protein Shakes a day, down to 2, down to 1 and then finally down to 0 (when my meal volume increased to 1 cup per meal).

James pretty much hit on everything I was thinking. I know that I eat between 600-800 calories per day, but that is just because I track in MyFitnessPal. I use it primarily to track my Protein, but it tracks others things as well. I am eight months post op and have another 3-4 pounds to lose and then will be entering maintenance phase. I have to double check, but I believe I heard someone at a support group meeting say that in maintenance phase you start around 1200 and monitor it from there. I would guess that is you gain after a week, you would decrease to 1100 and so on. Good luck!

I too track every bite I take on MFP :)

If you want to be my mfp friend I'm HeatherKNelson

Or heather5565@gmail.com

Maybe I have to eat less.

I don't think I'm really eating a lot haha

I measure everything.

I do have a Protein drink ever single day for Breakfast with .5 cup of milk. I am only doing that to for sure get my Protein in.

I do notice that is where almost half of my daily calories go to tho... so maybe I'll have to cut back on that somehow.

Many thanks to you both :)

Edited by heather5565

my plan doesn't focus on calories, either, but here are my monthly averages. I lean on the high side, but I'm pretty active and also, my blood Protein levels tend low, so I'm supposed to shoot for 100 g of Protein a day, which also affects my calorie level:

Month 1: 609

Month 2: 672

Month 3: 803

Month 4: 940

Month 5: 995

Month 6: 1013

Month 7: 1079

Month 8: 1048

Month 9: 1007

so it looks like I stabilized at around 1000 at month 5. Since I'm sure everything is healed by now, I'll probably stay around there for quite awhile.

I still drink a shake every morning for the same reason. I use a cup of Fairlife skim milk and one scoop of GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60 chocolate Protein powder for 33 grams of Protein and only 176 calories and they really fill me up.

I too track every bite I take on MFP :)
If you want to be my mfp friend I'm HeatherKNelson
Or heather5565@gmail.com

Maybe I have to eat less.
I don't think I'm really eating a lot haha
I measure everything.
I do have a Protein Drink ever single day for Breakfast with .5 cup of milk. I am only doing that to for sure get my protein in.
I do notice that is where almost half of my daily calories go to tho... so maybe I'll have to cut back on that somehow.

Many thanks to you both :)