Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone read this book by Brian Wainsik? It was pretty good. My NUT recommended it. There were tips to set up your "food radius" to fat proof and help with mindless eating. Your food radius is your house, restaurants you frequent, grocery store, work, and possibly school.

There were some interesting points about how just sitting in a certain place in a restaurant makes you more prone to ordering more food/drink/dessert!

It was definitely an eye opener and I'm going to implement some of the techniques. Some of the techniques I'm going to do are - smaller plates/bowls/glasses, no food out on the counters, make sure healthy options are at eye level in the fridge, wrap up tempting leftovers in containers that you can't see what's in it every time you open the fridge.

Some interesting facts from the book:

"For instance, the average woman who kept potato chips on her counter weighed eight pounds more than her neighbor that didn't." :o :o :o

Sounds like some good hacks. I created the kids snack cabinate on the other side of the kitchen so I don't get those things hitting me in the face when I'm making meals.

I'll have to check it out! Sounds interesting!

I am a big believer in the "cabinet I must never open" - it contains Cereal, crackers and junk food for my son's.

Oh, I did the chips and Cookies on the counter thing. My study of one shows it's a guaranteed way to outweigh your neighbor... by ALOT!

C'mon, folks, you weren't plucked from the cabbage patch just this morning. This book sounds like a retread of a retread of a retread, the only difference being that the current "author" has renamed some ancient tips. "food radius?" That's a joke. Your radius for anything is where you are and where you go in relation to it. Where is the insight in reporting that someone who displays chips on a counter or a nightstand is going to eat them? Doesn't every surgery practice recommend smaller plates and only salad forks and teaspoons? Doesn't every book, article and person? Latin lesson: Etc., et al., ad nauseam.

@@Margie122, I don't get the dangling carrot vis à vis one's location in a restaurant. Why not just say it? It's up to you, of course. I won't be lured by smoke and mirrors into buying this revelatory work in any case.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

WLSResources/ClothingExch you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I found it helpful.

C'mon, folks, you weren't plucked from the cabbage patch just this morning. This book sounds like a retread of a retread of a retread, the only difference being that the current "author" has renamed some ancient tips. "food radius?" That's a joke. Your radius for anything is where you are and where you go in relation to it. Where is the insight in reporting that someone who displays chips on a counter or a nightstand is going to eat them? Doesn't every surgery practice recommend smaller plates and only salad forks and teaspoons? Doesn't every book, article and person? Latin lesson: Etc., et al., ad nauseam.

@@Margie122, I don't get the dangling carrot vis à vis one's location in a restaurant. Why not just say it? It's up to you, of course. I won't be lured by smoke and mirrors into buying this revelatory work in any case.

I understand where you are coming from. It reminds me when my boss decided we should all read "The Secret" because it was the best thing he had ever read. I thought it was a not very well disguised recycling of ideas that has been presented much better by other people.

I learned many years ago that what is old hat to some is new to others. I think it comes from working at a University and with Freshmen. Everybody has to learn something new for the first time. And, for some of us, we have to hear it a million times or in a million ways before we really get it.

Well said, I'm a teacher and see the same stuff but what you say is true, it's new to someone and a great refresh to those of us that should "know better". Funny thing is, at 40 I get different stuff out of the same material. Different stages of life give new light to old subjects. Just my experience. [emoji4]

I learned many years ago that what is old hat to some is new to others. I think it comes from working at a University and with Freshmen. Everybody has to learn something new for the first time. And, for some of us, we have to hear it a million times or in a million ways before we really get it.

I get your point and remain unchastened. Newcomers very much need reliable info and useful ideas and old-timers sometimes need reminders. Why insult their intelligence in the process with gibberish? "My food radius," my left foot. Or maybe I'll write a book for WLS people who are also members of Chasid communities and call it "My food Eruv." Ha! I just tickled myself with that one.

Eager-faced freshmen? God save the Queen.

@@Margie122 and @@because,

I think your notes were not yet up by the time I began typing for Inner Surfer Girl.

If this book and other, newer ones are useful to you, excellent. I mean that and hope that I didn't imply that it couldn't be. Often enough I revisit materials. My objection in general is the jargon and baby talk. [it smacks of Ronald Reagan, whom I gladly would have smacked for some of the drivel that came out of his mouth.] My cut-off is language that I'd cringe to use myself. Writing that is straightforward makes its point and even better if it isn't padded out to raise the cover price.

Beside that, how many books that rehash the same thing does one need? The information really hasn't changed much from the beginning of WLS.

I remain unchastened and affectionate toward all. What matters most to me in a group setting for WLS folk is that each gets to where he wants to go. We'll get along fine if we all apply "radius" only to discussions of geometry and forearms.

@@Margie122, I still want to know what you read about the restaurant location bit. People choose tables to be seen, not to be seen eating: Never a table against a wall or near the kitchen door or restrooms or behind a potted plant. They are unglamorous to the glitterati and (this never occurred to me before your teasing tidbit) good places to gorge in secret.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch