Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think you mean "stricture."

(I didn't have one ... just trying to be helpful.)

Well, I had my first structure back in 2003. Sstill have it - it's about 1200 square feet with 3 bedrooms and 2 bath. :D

Never had a stricture tho.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Edited by FrankiesGirl

Awww. You didn't have to delete it. Totally knew it was autocorrect and just thought it was funny (isn't it always funny when autocorrect goes wonky?). Definitely wasn't making fun of you and hope you didn't take it that way. Hugs? Hugs! :)

Hope someone still comes in that can give you some ideas about strictures. Like I said, never had that issue thank goodness, but my understanding is that it can feel like you can't swallow even liquids (swollen and tight feeling), a sudden reduction in the amount of food you were able to eat, or nausea and vomiting.

If you have symptoms like that, do see your doctor so they can check.

Edited by FrankiesGirl

As of now I regret having the surgery! I am only a week post op, but every swallow of Water or anything feels like it gets stuck. Yes I did take my comment down because it did hurt my feelings. I went into this journey alone and I still feel that way! I tried to reach out a few times to get support, but feel like it's a lost cause. I have been alone on this journey since August other than with my doctor and his staff. I don't know what I'm feeling, don't know if it will get better, and not sure if it was all worth it. I'm down 30 pounds since my 2 week preop diet and I don't go back to the doctor till next Thursday. I just feel depressed!

Jeanette1246 sorry your feelings were hurt. Are you sure it's a stricture? When did you have your surgery? Who did you reach out to for support - family, friends??? You didn't give us enough info.

After my surgery I was very swollen and food did feel like it got stuck, but I didn't have a stricture. Let us know more of what's going on so we can see if we can help.

I'm sorry you are having a rough time. Please know that the frustration and depression this early is pretty normal. At only 1 week post-op, it is not a stricture. A stricture forms a little further out. You may have some swelling still. Try to take very small sips and very tiny bites. It does get better. I promise. You just have to give it time.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using BariatricPal

As of now I regret having the surgery! I am only a week post op, but every swallow of Water or anything feels like it gets stuck. Yes I did take my comment down because it did hurt my feelings. I went into this journey alone and I still feel that way! I tried to reach out a few times to get support, but feel like it's a lost cause. I have been alone on this journey since August other than with my doctor and his staff. I don't know what I'm feeling, don't know if it will get better, and not sure if it was all worth it. I'm down 30 pounds since my 2 week preop diet and I don't go back to the doctor till next Thursday. I just feel depressed!

Definitely sorry! Humor is sometimes the only thing that got me through when I was feeling bad. That's my excuse anyway. :(

What you're describing is just being swollen up from the surgery. If you're just a week out, you must be one of the "lucky" ones that swelled up more from surgery than others (I was one of those).

Alternate warm and cold liquids. I could barely get anything down the first 3-4 days and was really worried I would have to go in, but warm broth and cold sugarfree popscicles. The swelling will go down but keep up the fluids so you don't get dehydrated.

Well I guess I will start from the beginning. I am a wife and mother of three amazing little boys. My oldest is 4, then 3, then 1 1/2. I use to be in fantastic shape, however I went through a terrible sexual assault my freshman year of college. After this happened I put on weight because I found that I wasn't getting the same responses from the opposite sex. This turned into a downward spiral of poor eating habits, terrible life choices and a real struggle with alcohol. After a 6 year haze of bad decisions, I finally told people about what had happened to me my first weekend at college. This was the first step in regaining the last shards of myself that was left. Once my family realized I wasn't just a screw up and that I was dealing with something on my own internally my life started to go in a positive direction. I cleaned up my act, I graduated from college, I have a wonderful job that I love, I met my husband, I got married, and had three beautiful boys! Here I am 15 years from that first moment that rocked my core to a person that is so happy with everything in their life other than their weight. I started this journey in August. At this time my husband or my family never asked any questions, never wanted to come to an appointment or really ever talk about what I was going through. The only things that were ever discussed were schedules for my boys for while I was in the hospital. It's just something none of them understand. I have not told my friends about having the surgery because they are all very thin and I honestly felt embarrassed and ashamed that I was going this route to try and help myself. I know this is not the easy way out, and I am a very strong person, I'm just feeling defeated. This is a topic that unless you have been overweight and felt the true struggle, you just can't understand. I'm sure my emotions are just all over because of just having surgery, anxiety of if this is working or will this work for me, just electively choosing to cut part of my stomach out, not being able to pick up my baby, and just healing in general. I know this was a lot, but this is all swirling in my head right now.

My stats.

I'm 32, starting weight was 278, I am 5ft 6in, my current weight is 249, my surgery date was 2-8-16, my children's ages are 4,3, and 1 1/2.

Edited by Jeanette1246

@@Jeanette1246 - WOW! 3 little boys is enough to wear anyone out without just having had major surgery! I have no husband or kids but luckily had very supportive family. Having said that, I was on my own pretty quick after surgery (which is what I wanted). If you could go back and read some of my posts in the first few weeks, heck even the first few months, you would see that I had the same depression and frustration and wasn't dealing with responsibilities anywhere near what you are! You are doing great. Give yourself a break. Hormone release plays a role in all of this too and again that is without those of us that have 3 little boys. Deep breath. Stay in today. One Protein drink at a time. :) I ​absolutely promise you it will get better!

One other thing you will see in my past posts if you went back to them is that I am a HUGE supporter of therapy during all this. My therapist has been my number 1 tool - seriously even more important than my surgery. If there is anyway you can find one to talk to (especially one that deals with bariatric patients), I would strongly encourage you to try that. It is really a huge help to me! I still see her at 8 months post-op and the plan is to see her regularly at least 2 years post-op to make sure that we work in to the maintenance phase. After that will just be on an as needed basis.

If you can find someone to watch your boys and take just 30 minutes to yourself, try to go for a walk today (take your Water bottle with you). If you are lucky enough to be in Texas like me and have amazing weather this week, go outside. The fresh air will clear your head a little. If you have crummy weather, maybe an indoor mall? You don't have to go for a strenuous workout. I'm just talking a leisurely stroll where you can wear your headphones and just think about you for a moment. It is amazing how much clarity I get from my time alone walking sometimes.

HUGS!!

I was going to tease you, but decided not to, I know the "U" key is adjacent to the "I" key -good thing you weren't typing the word "DUCK" when you hit the wrong key.

The swallowing problem gets better fairly quickly. Give it another week.