Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Since I'm now 5 days post op, hanging and healing at home, I thought I should post some observations so far.

Pain has been very minimal so far. Even in the hospital I took the liquid Ibuprofen most of the time after the 1st two day, but

at home I've had this red liquid Roxicet, that really works well, and so the truth is I took maybe 4 doses of it to sleep while I've been home but I didn't really need it so I got rid of it (and the second big bottle, too). It's kind of like I took some because I had it. Period. But that's it.

No, so if someone in the future asks me how painful the operation was, I'd have to confess that it's more uncomfortable than painful, and that it's not really very painful at all. Now keep in mind that I'm usually a complete wuss/baby/ complainer, so for me to say this is a bit surprising perhaps.

The only thing concerning me right now is that since I drank the Magnesium Citrate last Tuesday and pretty much emptied out completely later that night, I've obviously had nothing but liquids since then (it's now Monday night 7pm), but still have not moved bowels yet, so that's got me a bit concerned. I'm not in any discomfort or awful constipated feeling, etc/ anyone experience anything like that??

Since I'm now 5 days post op, hanging and healing at home, I thought I should post some observations so far.

Pain has been very minimal so far. Even in the hospital I took the liquid Ibuprofen most of the time after the 1st two day, but

at home I've had this red liquid Roxicet, that really works well, and so the truth is I took maybe 4 doses of it to sleep while I've been home but I didn't really need it so I got rid of it (and the second big bottle, too). It's kind of like I took some because I had it. Period. But that's it.

No, so if someone in the future asks me how painful the operation was, I'd have to confess that it's more uncomfortable than painful, and that it's not really very painful at all. Now keep in mind that I'm usually a complete wuss/baby/ complainer, so for me to say this is a bit surprising perhaps.

The only thing concerning me right now is that since I drank the Magnesium Citrate last Tuesday and pretty much emptied out completely later that night, I've obviously had nothing but liquids since then (it's now Monday night 7pm), but still have not moved bowels yet, so that's got me a bit concerned. I'm not in any discomfort or awful constipated feeling, etc/ anyone experience anything like that??

Hi there! I'm four days post op and I didn't have any pain other than severe gas pains from all the fluids they pumped in me. Yesterday, I felt great, but today the discomfort has returned. I've been taking milk of magnesia to help with the gas/constipation, but it is slow moving. I've also been experiencing minor leg and buttock cramps from lack of electrolytes. But nothing too serious. I was told to try sugar free Gatorade but can't find any to save my life! Are you experiencing the same thing?

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal

yeah, I can't remember how long it was before my bowels moved - but it was awhile. Then I was pretty constipated until I got to the soft food stage and stopped relying solely on Protein shakes. I used Milk of Magnesia a few times to help things along.

Since I have been on regular food I have not had any problems at all. I know that some people have more problems than others - but once I figured out I was lactose intolerant and moved away from the Protein Shakes entirely I was fine.

Congrats on your surgery. Things will only get better from this time on...

Happy post-op to you both! At 5 days post-op, you may want to call your surgeon and see if they want you to take something to help with a bowel movement. It is normal not to have had it thus far (especially because you are on fluids only), but they won't want you to go a terribly long time without. Just a heads up, this is generally an issue long-term due to high Protein diet and the way we now process fluids, so you may have to find something to incorporate daily (or every other day) that will help with that.

@@Chioni.RNY - There isn't a sugar free Gatorade. There is G2 which is lower sugar / calorie but not no sugar. There is, however, Powerade Zero which is calorie free. Look for that one.

Congratulations!

I know when I had my surgery I really had no pain, it was uncomfortable because of the gas they use in your gut. Then when my body started working again that was uncomfortable but it took a week before I had a bm and I ended up having call the doc about it. They had me use a dulcolax suppository.

Then as soon as I did go, I ended up with diarrhea until I started puréed foods.

It is normal for it to take some time to go to the bathroom. Honestly it is also my only complaint. I really struggle with Constipation even now 16 months later. I take a stool softener with laxative twice a day.

Oh interesting, the little things nobody at the Bariatric clinics tell you before hand....

Like, oh yeah, you'll have trouble with Constipation the rest of your life and be on daily stool softeners and laxatives...

I never heard the issue mentioned.

So once again, thanks to all YOU PEOPLE for being a huge resource!!

BTW, I haven't gone near a scale and have no intention of weighing myself until next wednesday when I'm back to work where I always weigh myself on the nurse's scale there once a week....