Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long does it take for a "bad" food day to become pounds?

I have been very very good about logging all my intake of food, my activities, and my weight every day (Note: I know a lot of people don't like to weigh every day. However, I find that I get very attentive to those .6 and .8 pound fluctuations and it keeps me in line better, rather than adjusting to seeing 1+ pound weight fluctuations over a week or so...my theory being that if you get used to the "pound-plus" on the scales you are more likely to backslide into 2-3-4 pound fluctuations....just my own philosophy). I have noticed a definite correlation between the days I "overeat" (over 950 cal) and the subsequent weight upswing within about 2-3 days. I was out on the web looking for guidance on just how long it takes before the "bad days" turn to noticeable weight gain. I found this interesting....

Temporary weight gain could appear quickly after a large meal or two, but that does not mean that if you've overdone it, you're doomed. After all, daily weight fluctuations are normal.

Generally speaking though, if you keep your calories burned in line with your calories consumed over a week's time, you shouldn't gain -- 3,500 calories is equal to one pound. If you do have a surplus of 3,500 calories by the end of one week, most people will be up a pound from the prior week. The most worrisome is the gradual weight gain that people experience, which is more likely to represent new pounds that you truly gain over time. Keep a food diary to try and help combat this gradual weight gain and (you knew this was coming) exercise regularly!

I'm not sure of the exact number of days but I track everything on myfooddiary.com

It costs $9/mo and it's pay as you go so you aren't committed to any contracts. You put in all your foods, exercise, Water for the day and when you mark your day complete, it gives you a report like this:

If every day were like today ...

• You would lose 1.7 lbs per week.
  • You would meet your goal weight of 145 lbs on 1/9/2008.
  • In one month, you would weigh 175.2 lbs.
  • In three months, you would weigh <nobr>160.4 lbs.</nobr>

It's a great tool and it lets you see the good stuff and bad stuff you're eating with your meal. For me, I had to dial back my skim milk usage because I saw how many sugars there were in it! It just keeps you concious of what your eating and what's really in there.

I looked at myfooddiary.com and it looks like a great tool and I would consider using it, except it is so EXPENSIVE! That's $108 a year! FitDay regular is free, or the software is $19.

That being said, I love the report on "if every day were like today you would lose...." That is NEAT!