Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experiencing nausea 3rd day preop diet

Hello!

My surgery is scheduled for February 18th and I began my preop diet on Friday. The diet of course consists of shakes and for dinner optional 2oz lean meat and a cup and a half of veggies OR a shake. I've noticed that I've been experiencing some pretty bad nausea. I felt sick for a while yesterday but I didn't vomit. I did however have bowel issues. Today when I woke up the nausea was so terrible I came extremely close to throwing up multiple times but I was able to keep it down. But the nausea lasted a good while.

I have also stopped smoking weed at the same time I've started the preop diet. I was a heavy smoker (again weed NOT cigarettes) I would say everyday at least once or twice a day. I really have not been straying from the diet. What's up with the nausea? I'm feeling it now, dulled but it's still there. So what's up with this? Nothing about nausea coming with the pre op diet was mentioned at any of my meetings with the doctors. How can I help regulate this?

Edited by bigguy928

It is just your body detoxing and freaking out from the lack of weed and lower calories. The 3rd day is the worst day.

Drink lots of Water. Just try to make it through each hour. Take naps if that helps you avoid eating. It gets easier.

I am not sure if the weed withdrawal gets easier never been a smoker, but most people feel bad on the 3rd day of detox/low carbing/pre-op dieting. You body has burned through what it had stored and now the reality of what you are doing has set in.

I agree..also, let the doctor know you have had bad nausea lately. An hour before my surgery my nurse brought in a somewhat large pill and had me take it with a little bit of Water. She said it was a long-lasting nausea pill and would help my stomach settle. And it worked! Good luck and I hope you feel better!!!

Thanks guys I feel a lot better knowing that it's more than likely because my body is detoxing. I feel the urge to smoke again but I don't feel like binge eating or straying from my preop diet. How harmful would it be to maybe smoke a little and try and decrease the amount over time instead of trying to stop cold turkey? Because it seems like making two major changes at once seems a bit much.

I agree - two major changes is a bit much, but you really shouldn't smoke right now. Just suck it up because you don't want anything to hinder a good outcome on that table. Cleaning your lungs and airways, and circulating smoke free blood throughout your body will help you during surgery and after when you are recovering.

Agreed. Thank you for being my voice of reason. I will try my best to resist temptation but let's be real I'm not getting weight loss surgery because I'm an expert at controlling impulsesbut you are absolutely right I want the best outcome for this

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Lol! I feel you! But you've come this far. Are you good at commitment? Commit to your surgery and vow not to mess up the process or recovery. I know it's hard - I've never smoked but I'm addicted to sweets and there's a bag of mini butterfingers on the dining room table. Been there since I came home from surgery and I have no desire for it. Mainly because it would probably rip open my new tummy but still! You have to start dealing with wheel power now! I wish you all the best and I was glad to be of help! :)

Oh man butterfingers sound so good right now you have no idea. As far as commitment I'm very good when I basically have no choice but to follow through with something. Right now I'm kind of in the phase where well I haven't had the surgery yet so I can still over eat/eat whatever I want with no fatal consequences. I'm not doing so out of choice and whatever willpower I have. But I still have in the back of my mind that it's really nbd if I have a slip up because I can still physically handle it.

When I was an exchange student in Costa Rica I had no choice but to adapt to the culture and language. And I did so successfully. There just was no going back. I believe that this will be easier for me after the surgery because logically I know that eating the wrong thing or over eating can potentially kill me and I won't take those risks. But right now I don't feel that sense of urgency. I'm ready to leave this life behind but at the same time there are aspects of it that I'm not. And those aspects are what I'm struggling with now.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I can totally relate! My doctor didn't put me on a pre-op diet at all. He just said lose a little weight before and I'll be able to get you an even tighter sleeve. All he said was Clear liquids the day before and at 4pm that day take an ounce of milk of magnesia. That's it. So for two weeks I decided to put myself on a liquid diet. I was really good until I thought, this is way too restrictive. So I added bacon and chicken in the evenings but kept with shakes in the day time. But then, 4 days before I said eff it and went out and had sushi, made a pan of bread pudding, had buttered popcorn and felt better. Then I was back on liquids and ok. I just didn't like the rigidity of the diet I was putting myself on.

Fast forward to almost one week post op and I feel great. No cravings. No hunger at all. 12 pounds down. And I know if I do shove something wrong down my throat I will pay dearly for it. And that's not worth it.

You've got the right mindset. Costa Rica sounds like it was fun. Immersion and learning a culture and like by force - really cool. Wait till you get immersed in your new stomach. Lots to learn but you'll be a pro at it too!

See that's what I'm saying. If you place such hard restrictions on your pre op diet and don't leave any room for maybe a treat or two, then not succumbing to temptation post op will be much harder in my opinion. As they told us in the pre surgical instructions class last week, what they tell us to do are mere suggestions because they will not be acting as the food police. But they also said sometimes a child needs to put his hand on top of a hotstove after being told not to touch it in order for the child to realize why it's such a bad idea. I do intend on following the diet from now until my surgery. But I also won't beat myself up for any slip ups.

In terms of my nausea now I feel ok. Finished my lunch shake with a little unsweetened applesauce and I feel alright. The forums definitely help a lot too I should have joined long ago!

I agree!!! :) good job!!!! Can't wait till I can have applesauce in about 7 days. Lol! You have good intentions and you'll do well with this whole process. Best of luck! :-)