Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Erosion/Having it removed after only one year

My understanding when they place the band around the stomach they bring the stomach up over the band and stitch is in place. The have found that by putting an extra suture where the band fastens helps against erosion. I had specifically asked him regarding what % of his patients had a problem with erosion and also if it decreased or increases with how long you had your band. He said he found no difference on how old the band was. He told me how many he had that had eroded but he also fixed some that where not his. Thats when he mentioned adding the extra stitch had decreasesd the problem I think he said he had 6 erode out of almost 1000 bands and so far none with the new technique. The lap band center in Port HUron Mi where I am going just done their 1000th band last month since they started in 2002. I know Dr. Bhesania is one of the Drs. that go around for inamed giving seminars and teaching Lap banding.

I just watched an video from inamed and they showed an actual surgery, they did say that they bring a part of the stomach up over it and stich it in place. My surgeon said the same thing

I personally don't see how stitching the stomach around the band could have anything to do with lower rates of erosion.

It was my understanding that this technique was developed to reduce/eliminate SLIPPAGE, and had nothing to do with erosion....

I personally don't see how stitching the stomach around the band could have anything to do with lower rates of erosion.

It was my understanding that this technique was developed to reduce/eliminate SLIPPAGE, and had nothing to do with erosion....

You are correct Donali- It would actually have to do with HIGHER rates of erosion, according to the seminar I just attended.

If the stitches around the band are too tight they then tend to push or hold the band too tight against the stomach wall & therefore can create an erosion(pressure) into the wall.

This technique has been improved over time(in the US) with less stitches & less tension to prevent erosion. But in the begining was a contributor to erosion(in some cases.) It is very important to note that it has to do specifically with the surgeons techinque & finesse NOT the inamed band itself(with regard to stitching).

Some bandster may have erosion but not have any severe side effects for along time-making it hard to detect. It was explained to me like this:

Have you ever seen where they take a wire & slice through a block of ice really fast? There is no gap created by the wire but it has gone all the way through the ice block.

This is what happens sometimes w/stitches that are too tight. The body tends to just close up around the sliced area to protect itself & therefore the band can sometimes end up entirely inside the stomach over time if not checked periodically.

I plan on having a full check-up once every 2 yrs to check for erosion- maybe even once a year might be better. If this is continue to happen with the same physician time & time again it is because they have yet to perfect their stitch techinique for prevention of slippage. It is also important to note that even the best surgeon who has mastered the technique can over tighten once in awhile or add one too many stitches(they vary w/patients) & have an erosion problem.