Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 2/3/16 sleeve

I am 28 years old and was sleeved yesterday (2/3). I woke up in recovery and my pain was like 10,000/10. They started giving me diludad every 10 minutes which kicked in fast and was amazing. I was in recovery from 3:00-8:30 because there were no private rooms available. My nurse was fantastic and I was getting diludad whenever I started to feel anything. I mostly felt the gas which was right near my heart and I kept asking my nurse to check me for a heart attack or blood clot in the heart (hypochondriac much?). She assured me it was gas and gave me a little diludad and I was great again.

My nurse was telling me that when i got up to my room they would start me on morphine every 3 hours. Sweet! More pain meds! NOT! Morphine (at east for me did nothing.

And on top of the mediocre (never would I ever say morphine is mediocre but it was!)the new nurse wanted me to get up to pee! It was either pee or get a cath. I chose pee (which I had to wake up a few times in the night to do. My first dose morphine was around 10:00pm and by 1:00 am I was shaking in pain. My nurse was great and walked a few laps with me because she figured it was gas and we chatted about how she wanted to have the same surgery and about people she knew that had it. I felt a little better after two laps and went to lay down.

My next pain med was die at 4:00am but around 2:30qm I was in so much pain that I called the nurse and was crying and shaking. She called and got permission to give me a dose of diludad and I'm feeling much better!

I just had another shot of heparin in my stomach and have a leak test sometime this morning. Then after almost 30 hours I will get something to drink!!!!!!!! (If there aren't any leaks!) I am fantasizing over nice chips.

My nurse just said if I pass the leak test, I will get oral hydrocodone/acetaminophen and be taken of IV meds. This scares the daylight out of me. I will update more later. Finally feeling like sleeping!

Welcome to the losers' bench! I hope your recovery goes smoothly, but even when things get rough, just hang in there. With sleeve you will experience drastic improvement from one day to the next so you will feel whole and human again soon.

I can remember when I had my knee replaced and was the thralls of pain. My surgeon's wife, who just happened to be my recovery room nurse said to me, "don't fight the pain. Let if flow over you like a wave. Try and breath through it". Ya Know? It actually helped take the razor's edge off of my pain peak..

Another little secret is to not let the pain get to the point where you are shaking and in tears. When the pain gets to a level #5-6, ask for pain meds, and if need be, be insistent. If your prescribed med can not be given, there should be a "bridge" pain reliever to get you settled until it is time for your scheduled one. It is much easier to take down pain before it gets out of control and controls you.

I know everyone is different and has different pain thresholds , but the above should help in most surgical recoveries.

I know one thing for sure---I would have a ten more WLS's before having another knee replacement! ouch!!!

Scoots - hang in there! Walking and walking and more walking will help a lot, as will GasX. Days 1-3 were a little painful, but nothing that ibuprofen and acetaminophen couldn't handle. The key is to work that has out of your body. That was the worst part for me, too.

Update: day 2 I had the leak test and was in tears by the end because of the feeling of the liquid hitting my new pouch. Since I passed the test, they started me on Clear liquids and took my iv fluids bag off. I've been walking a ton. Mat least 10-15 laps around the floor 7-8 times a day and it usually helps me get out one painful burp of gas. I was supposed to go home tonight but spent the night again because pain is not managed yet. I was started on the liquid hydrocodone which should last 4-6 hours and only lasts me about 1.5 hours. Then they give me diludad which lasts for 2 hours max. So pain seems like it will keep me again coupled with the fact that I'm struggling to drink 1 oz Water per hour.

I know this is going to get better daily and even with the pain and discomfort I would do it over no doubt!

Did anyone stay more than 2 nights because of pain management? Also, any advice to get over the fear of drinking water/sipping broth/baby nibbling Jello? I have Clear Liquids again today and am already fearing the yogurt and shakes that come tomorrow. ????????????

Update: day 2 I had the leak test and was in tears by the end because of the feeling of the liquid hitting my new pouch. Since I passed the test, they started me on Clear Liquids and took my iv fluids bag off. I've been walking a ton. Mat least 10-15 laps around the floor 7-8 times a day and it usually helps me get out one painful burp of gas. I was supposed to go home tonight but spent the night again because pain is not managed yet. I was started on the liquid hydrocodone which should last 4-6 hours and only lasts me about 1.5 hours. Then they give me diludad which lasts for 2 hours max. So pain seems like it will keep me again coupled with the fact that I'm struggling to drink 1 oz Water per hour.

I know this is going to get better daily and even with the pain and discomfort I would do it over no doubt!

Did anyone stay more than 2 nights because of pain management? Also, any advice to get over the fear of drinking water/sipping broth/baby nibbling Jello? I have clear liquids again today and am already fearing the yogurt and shakes that come tomorrow.

Hang in there. There will be much better days! My advice is to --breathe. Try to relax, take a breath and just try to mellow out when drinking. The looser you can keep yourself the easier drinking will be.

Be kind to yourself. Don't fight your "new you". Embrace it and you two will have a long and wonderful life together.

Fell better and keep in touch.