Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have an eating disorder

Hi there,

I am a 24 year old female. I am 5'5'' and weigh about 245 lbs. Last year, I was diagnosed with binge eating disorder and went to an inpatient treatment facility for it.

Today, I am doing much better, but because I was told constantly during treatment NOT to diet, I have not lost weight. I am not supposed to count calories, do tracking programs like Weight Watchers, or anything triggering.

I used to be on Vyvanse to control my appetite, and it worked amazingly. I can't afford it anymore, though because my insurance changed and it went from $4/month to $280/month.

I know that eating disorders are a lot to overcome and this is a weight-related procedure so I may be out automatically. But what do you think? Do I have a chance because I am legitimately overweight?

Thank you!

@@socialworker91

I believe most of us here had an eating disorder that brought us to the point of having bariatric surgery. You always have a chance. No harm in researching your options before you decide on surgery. Your BMI is a 40.9 this has you in the obese category. Some surgeons will make a determination based on your BMI and co morbidity's ( high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes bad back or knees..etc)

BMI Calculator

https://asmbs.org/patients/bmi-calculator

Enjoy your research,

Jenn

It would certainly put a halt to binge eating. There is no room in your tummy to allow for it. It certainly turned my thought processes around. I have no desire to overeat or "cheat".

Good luck. Btw you can always contact the drug manufacturer to see if they will discount your drug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not an expert on the topic, but one of my last ditch efforts before the sleeve, I went to an eating disorder clinic. I was not diagnosed with an eating disorder (binge, bulimia etc) but rather disordered eating. I think there is a difference. The sleeve, and the 2 year support program I entered via my surgeon was essentially a chance to hit the "reset" button and I have had good results, maintaining my weight loss for 3 years now. I think it would be really important to talk to an expert in eating disorders as I am not sure how you will experience such restriction to eating. And, over time, with some effort (ha) people do regain weight post WLS and we all want to have the best odds of long term success.

Binge eating disorder here. I was so scared that I would just eat until my sleeve stretched, but I've been fine so far (in fact, my issue is often not eating enough). Once the pleasure/satisfaction was gone from eating, I gradually began to de-program and look at food differently (though it took about 6 months). I'm at 125 lbs lost since July. Best decision I ever made.

Just FYI ... I don't suffer from BED. However, I've read numerous posts at WLS forums where posters with BED report that WLS seldom or fully resolves their BED issues.

No WLS alone will fix a real, accurately diagnosed eating disorder. In your shoes, I would plan to address your BED through a combination of psychological therapy, competent nutritional counseling (recognizing that most nutritionists aren't very knowledgeable about either WLS or BED) and anything else that helps you.

Best to you.