Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Plan and looking for input.

I went to a info seminar last week. I have been researching for about two months and am so on board for this, I would have it done tomorrow.

I currently have a BMI of about 37. I have asthma and very mild rhuematoid arthritis, but it causes me a great deal of pain when it is flared up and I get horrible plantar facitis. The asthma is seasonal/enviromental and

One thing that keeps nagging on me is the pre/post op diet. I know this very important from a medical stand point. To get belly fat down and reduce the size of your liver. Also to acclimate your body to the new stomach. It looks like a newborn-toddler diet! I guess that's why people liken the search to a rebirth!

I have been in the stuff-my-face-raise-that-BMI-mode before I meet with the RN next week. I know that's not cool nor healthy. I feel SO bloated today!!

I have the copy of what I *hopefully* will be doing for the pre-op diet and I am going to try it starting tomorrow. One, to break this cycle I have gotten myself into in a short time. And two, to prove to myself I can do this. Two weeks in the grand scheme of things is a small, small time. I want this so bad and want to do it right, kind of like a practice run so I get it right when it's for real.

I also have only shared with my husband, best friend and sister I am considering this. The husband is full-on board and very supportive. He knows I have struggled with this all my life and am just not the best me I know I can be. I know people have a hard time saying they can't wrap their heads around how they look after they lose a significant amount of weight. I can't believe what I look like now. I can't believe that's me looking back at me in the mirror.

I know eventually I will have to tell people just because of how much less you can eat. How did you all handle that? I would be more inclined to tell my Dad, he would be concerned, yet understand. My Mom is a freaker and panicker and I have enough to process right now.

I don't plan on telling my children at all at this point. I am not ashamed or anything. I just an not comfortable explaining this to them right now. The whole binge eating thing. I am really careful with them, because this is the age it started with me and I know what I WISH would have been done differently. They WILL learn good eating and exercise habits. food does not equal love in our house. It isn't offered up when they are upset. We try at least one new food or recipe each week. They all know how to read and udnerstand food labels and have found some great substitions on their own. They reach for spray butter instead of regular. Any full on fat sour creams or milk intrique and gross them out at the same time. Don't get me wrong, they get McDonalds and things, I am just smart about it and we never do it more than once or twice a week and I make point of doing the other two meals or Snacks are SUPER healthy. They are fit and healthy and participate in things that I only could dream of at their age. I also am doing this so I am not sitting on the sideline watching, I can be out in the pool with them or on the ride at DisneyWorld next spring. We can sit at the cool tbel with the tall chairs and I don't want to be hidden in a booth, little things like that motivate me to take this tool as help.

I meet with the psych guy on Tuesday. I know what to expect, yet not sure WHAT to expect. Has anyone blown their chance at surgery with this part???

I meet with the RN and the dietician in one week. I am really looking forward to that one for some reason!

I just want to go to sleep and wake up with a new attitude. So maybe putting this down in black and white will be a beginning of that for me.

I really enjoy reading all the posts on here. There is some very good information and some of it is just hysterically funny!

I do have one more question. I know that peoples relationships change after you lose weight. Espcially with finace/bf/husband. I am really not concerned with that part. We are really in sync with all that. We are "eating buddies" though. We like to go out to lunch and make bad things to eat and watch movies. He also is 5'11, weighs 168 and runs 6 miles 5 days a week. Not a major concern for him. He made something last night and we talked about it a bit and discussed the fact that that is the EXACT reason I am in the position I am in. (Admitting your have a problem is half the battle!!) We did discuss it a bit after that. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do? We like the exercise together and backpack for days at a time. So we are moving in the right direction there too.

I am rambling now, thanks for any input!

You will do great! I live a very fast and social life. I was scared too ! Its OK and all works out! I'm new BUT I have been through the Pre-diet and it was HARD! You can do it stay focused! One thing... I wouldn't start that before you have to. You have to be on liquids for quite some time enjoy whole food while you can without stuffing yourself. Good luck!

OMG I feel like I am reading my story. I went to the PCP last week and will be going to the seminar August 27th. My BMI is 39 with asthma, lower back pain and bad knees since high school. He ordered up a ton of blood work to see if anything else is going on. I don't know if this is enough for my insurance to pay or if I should get that BMI up to 40 and hope he writes one hell of a referral. I won't be able to have it done if my insurance won't cover it.

Good luck to you and keep us up to date on your journey.

Don't worry about the post-op diet at all. I know you can't truly understand this, but believe us when we tell you, you're simply not hungry for a while after surgery. The problem will be getting in enough fluids, not how to stay on fluids.

As for the pre-op diet, it's just 2 weeks of your life. Bribe yourself through it if you have to. Plan out what you get (like a present) every day you stay on the horrible pre-op diet. Write yourself notes about how the ONLY thing you're in control of, in terms of the safety of your surgery, is the pre-op diet. It's the only thing you can control, so you can do it. It's just 14 days. You WILL eat again. There's no reason to feel you have to during those 14 days.

As for your husband, you will still be his eating buddy. Just, rather than you both ordering an appetizer and an entree and sharing, he'll order both, you'll order an appetizer, and you'll have a bite or two of all 3 and he'll have the rest. You'll still enjoy the food and the variety just as much, if not more. Since, for your husband, it's not about quantity eating, or commiserating in being heavy, I don't see this as a problem. It's when we "betray" our eating buddies -- the ones we overeat with who are also heavy -- by getting thinner and wanting to eat healthier, that the social issues arise in full force. I think you'll do great and your husband will be your biggest supporter.

Good luck!

As I watched our baby :baby:granddaughter this past weekend, I got to thinking about the similarities to the diet of a newborn and newly banded...

The baby is 7 months old... She started off with "protein drinks" (mom's milk) and has now started on "mushies" (ground up veggies & fruits). As she struggles to get from lying down to a sitting position, I also thought of the physical challenges I have and WILL CONQUER much like she is doing right now.

:star:Being Banded is like a rebirth... and the more ways I have to visualize and make sense of it all, the more successful I expect to be!