Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie ......... with questions

Hi All , I just got lapband surgery friday , 2 days ago , I stayed overnight and I am home now , When I went to surgery I was 290lbs , as of this morning I am 295lbs , I havn't had anything but liquids the last 3 days , why am I 5lbs more , could it be because my stomach is swolling ?? did I even spell that right ? lol lol , anyway , I have a black and blue on my stomach and 5 holes ...................... my stomach is very sore and tender , I feel bloated , has this happened to most of you people ?? please let me know your experience on how your lapband was the first few days ?? when does the bloating feeling go away ?? why do you think I'm 5 lbs heavier ??

Thanks To all

Anybody Have anything to say for me ??

What should I expect in the coming days ??

anyone have anything to say about my other questions ??

Thanks ;):):):):peep:

Hi jubie. I gained weight while in the hospital too. I went into surgery dehydrated from the preop diet and of course I had an IV running, so the extra fluids are what caused the weight gain. It will come back off in the next few days. No worries. Im 5 days post op now. Good luck to you!

I am also very swollen and bloated and in quite a bit of pain. It all really is normal-unfortunately. Healing for some of us takes longer than for others. Hang in there!

HI! Welcome to bandland and welcome to LBT! I think you will find this site to be invaluable as you recover and encounter new things with your bands! Experienced bandsters will be here to advise, and support! Keep in mind this is a really busy time of year for people, with vacations and kids out of school---so if you don't get an answer quickly, bump it like jubie, did, and hopefully one of us will pay attention!!

At this point you should both be on liquids still. It is VERY important to follow the post op diet guidelines, even more important than the pre-op. There are internal stitches holding your band in place, and you do not want them disturbed as they heal. Bloating, and swelling, as well as gas pain, are the most common complaints following banding. They do go away!!! If you have gas issues try the Gas X and walk, walk, walk! Sip slowly, to keep yourself hydrated. Look for some Clear Liquids with Protein, I used zero carb Isopure. It has 40 g. of Protein per bottle, I bought mine at GNC. The protein helps keep hunger down, and also it helped my energy level while healing. I would get to feeling run down, and it did help.

I would say that within a week the bloating should ease, and you should begin feeling more normal! It is different for everyone, some go right back to work, some are off for 1-2 weeks---there is no predicting how YOU will do. Just baby yourself a bit, and soon this phase will be behind you. Once again I will stress, whatever you do, stick with your liquids, until your Dr. instructs otherwise. There will come a time when that is difficult, and will seem impossible, but we all did it and you can to---when it gets bad, log on and vent with us!!!

Good luck on your recovery, you sound like you are doing perfectly normal healing type things---hang in there!!!

Kat

It didn't happen to me, but another women that was in the hospital with me gainned 5 pounds. I had the surgery on 7/19, I don't feel bloated but I am tender by the port site.

I am still taking in liquids and I have no desire to cheat at all! I've had a lot of gas pain and bloating. The Gas-X strips are great to take-easy to take. I know I'm improving each day, but I thought I really would be back to normal after several days-what was I thinking-lol. I ended up having a couple complications which is common with any surgery.....atelectasis being my main problem. So, I've been using the ole incentive spirometer and deep breathing all I can. It's also has caused me to run low grade fevers for several days, so its really not Lap Band related...its just surgery related..:faint:

My DH had some problems that way following open heart surgery, he used his Incentive Spirometer faithfully, and it helped. He would start running fever in the hospital, and they would remind him to use it, and it helped...who would have thought that would help with fever!!!???

Glad to know you are hanging in there....keep us posted!!!

Kat

How about Black and blue , I have a huge black and blue on the left side of my waist , anybody have that ??

amd thanks for the replys !!

I had some bruising from the surgery but also from the heparin shots they give you to stop blood clots.....I was banded in May and you can still see them although they are now faint!

Good luck on your journey.....you will not be disappointed!

Yep the blood thinner injections may be the cause. They do what they are supposed to and thin the blood, often leaving a nice big bruise, although one that is not sore.

My DH had to have the shots due to a blood clot prior to heart surgery, and we gave him Lovenox shots twice a day in the belly---it looked like someone had beat him with a sock full of quarters or something!!! Isn't that what they always do in prison movies???

They also have to manuever you around on the operating table, and when we are big enough to require lap bands, we must not be the easiest to move when we are out cold! Heck there were times moving myself was hard!!!!

Kat

Hang in there, youv'e been through alot. Don't push anything and try to take one day at a time. I think I pushed too much last week, when I was on the adrenalin high after my surgery. Now I find myself fatigued. Have you been experiencing any emotional ups and downs? I am anxious about returning to work. I'll still be on liquids and I will need to make sure I get all my fluids and Proteins in. I haven't cheated either. I've lost 9lbs. so far, but the scale has stopped moving. I find myself getting on the scale a million times a day. My surgeon warned me against doing this, but I can't help myself. I know it's not about the scale, it's about being healthy. I just feel the scale validates my efforts and I need constant validation right now.

Jubie,

I gained 9 pounds in the hospital due to the IV fluids and it came off 2 days after I was home. I was banded on the 17th of this month and have lost 12 pounds since surgery for a total of 28. You can do it!! I am still on liquids and see my doctor for my first followup tomorrow.

I"m not hungry, but am getting tired of broth and Protein drinks. I

bought a LapBand recipe book on Amazon.com and am about to get

into that and try some of the recipes. They have recipes for every

stage of eating. It's great! Good luck and take care!! Christy