Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Help

I was banded two weeks ago. I was on Clear Liquids for the first week and then was told I could add liquid yougurt and Protein Drinks. I was told I should use Glucerna since I am diabetic. Used it during my pre op diet and surprisingly, tastes good. The nutritionist told me I need to drink 30g of Protein a day. Glucerna only has 10 g. I am only getting about maybe 14-15grams / day. I tried the Protein Powder drinks and they were nasty. Couldn't stomach them. Why do you have to have 30g of protein and what happens if you don't get it?

You should have plenty of Protein stores in your body to go a few weeks with low Protein.< /p>

With that said, if you keep protein up (I'm not referring to 100gms, that's too much) but up to a reasonable amount (around 50-60gms) it will help with hunger issues.

I like Matrix. Many like unjury. You have to keep trying brands until you find one you like.

You just haven't looked far enough....there are wonderful Proteins on the market but you probably won't find them at GNC or your local gym....theirs are mostly for jocks.

You need a high Protein, low carb supplements made for bariatric patients. Matrix, mentioned above, is a good one - I like the choclate mixed with coffee now that I'm far enough out to have coffee. Micellar Milk (avail at VitaminShoppe or Netrition.com or bariatriceating.com) is wonderful.....40 gr/protein, lots of Vitamins in a 17 oz carton - the vanilla tastes something like rice pudding. whey Gourmet is wonderful and has several flavors.

Finding a good Protein supp has been an important factor is helping me be a successful loser.....both the warm drinks and the shakes, besides keeping you strong and healthy, give you a sweet treat that keeps you from missing a lot of the things we've enjoyed in the past.

I agree with those above me (thanks, WasaBB! The Matrix and nectar were good!), and I also like Slim Fast CARB CONTROL, NOT the Optima, NOT the High Protein, the Carb Control, it has more protein than the others and is low in carbs so better for diabetics. It was rich and thick and satisfying.

Here's something that might help.....there is a terrific list of Protein shake ideas/mix ins as well as a basic recipe for Protein shakes, although you can use any basic vanilla mix in a book I found. (My dietician recommends a bare minimum of 60 g of Protein daily for lap banders.) The book is called "Before & After - living & eating well after weight loss surgery" by Susan Maria Leach. Although the book is mainly about her transformation after gastric bypass, the first part of the book is a journal of her journey and much of the thinking and changes she went through still applies to bandsters. :bandit

Anyway, the second half of the book is full of recipes and such. The book goes for about $20 or so online, but I checked it out at the library. If you want me to send you the list (I typed it up on Word so I could keep it in the kitchen but couldn't upload it here for some reason), just contact me directly. Good stuff! :hungry:

Banded 6/27/07 - VG band, Dr. Jose Erbella and Dr. Gary Bunch, Manatee Memorial Hospital, Bradenton, FL

weight.png

Ok so Im not a pill popper or suppliment mixer type of person. More power to those of you who are, but I can't remember to take them and then I have this mental block thing...ANYWAYS, so basically I have to do Peanut Butter. Low fat as possible just a spoonful on the way out the door...kinda feels "naughty" if ya know what i mean so it helps me crave less too..I also eat lots of tofu things and soy products that I can mix in with everything...

O and of course cottage cheese, lowfat. Ill mix it in with yogurt and there ya go!

I am really not big on the Protein drinks but I do know cottage cheese has TONS of Protein in it. I have been trying to find regular food with lots of protein in it. any help I can find would be great too. I just have problems with the after taste or gritty taste of the drinks. also dont like spending tons of money on something I am not sure I will like.

Hi Cerrin.. I don't know if you like fish or not but it has alot of Protein in it, it's low calorie and low carb.I get fish called "Talipa Fillets" it has 21 grams of protein in one fillet.You can fry it in a pan or bake it , It's really good with some lemon pepper sprinkled on top. I buy them at Sams Club and they have a nice mild taste to them. ALso, alot of deli meats have a decent amount of protein in them. I also like cottage cheese and I sprinkle some parmesan cheese on it for a little kick.

That sounds great!

I love fish that dosent taste fishy. I love the cottage cheese with parmasan cheese that sounds good.

My favorite is putting pineapple in my cottage cheese. ummmm

Oh my gosh.

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury is my New Favorite Thing. Seriously.

I ordered some, and this morning I made my first Protein shake: a small (6 oz) juice box, about 8 frozen strawberries, a heaping tablespoon of Splenda, and a scoop of Unjury unflavored.

I have an insanely poweful blender, and the result was more like a heavy whipped cream in consistency than a smoothie, which is what I was going for. It tasted awesome, though. Kind of reminiscent of a malted strawberry milkshake.

It made SO MUCH though, I haven't even gotten a quarter of it down. I plan to work on it periodically throughout the day. Tomorrow I think I will make the smoothie first, then gently stir the Unjury in.