Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting sufficient calories?

OK, so my NUT told me last week I could start increasing calories to 900-1000 calories and I have a question. (I am 7 1/2 months post-op. I had been averaging closer to 800 calories and still wasn't going hungry.) My problem is I should be eating more in the morning but especially since I have been off work, I don’t get moving as quick and get in early food some days. So for example today, I just had a Premier Protein shake for Breakfast but not a morning snack because I had an early lunch but didn’t eat a big lunch. I wasn’t really hungry for dinner (I am still not getting feelings of hunger really), but I did eat – turkey, avocado, cucumber and cheese. I was only at 738 calories for the day – 73g Protein, 35g carbs, 36g fat. I wasn’t full so I had a Fiber One Bar which increased my calories to 828 calories – 74g protein, 53g carb, 39g fat. I am satisfied. (It is 8:24 pm). So my question is – is it better to stop at this point OR would it be preferable to wait an hour and then have a Protein Shake or Protein Bar? I am not necessarily talking about tonight, but this is just an example. I have gone up to 1000 calories some days (generally by getting in an extra shake or protein bar), so this is probably a little more unusual day. I am trying to understand if it is more important to get in more calories or more important to try to listen to whether I am “hungry” or not? Does that make sense?

I have emailed my NUT but just wanted to get some of your thoughts. Thank you as always!

I'm 5 months out and supposed to be aiming for 900 calories and I struggle with these same things. I look forward to reading responses!

I know I'm only a few days post op, and I'm still on full liquids.... but I've been looking at my recipes and meal planning for when my two months-ish time is up and I know I will obviously run into the same struggles. I'm going to see my NUT next week, kinda jumping the gun a bit since I'm a noob... I know, but I like to stay ahead of the game and be educated about this stuff.

Thank you for posting these questions and I, as well, look forward to reading the responses. I know when I had my last meeting with my NUT and also in the support group a couple weeks ago it was mentioned that it is most important to pay attention to how you feel, as opposed to the number of calories. Mainly because you don't want to over do it.

BUT if you aren't feeling hungry, I do see the concern and wonder if it is better to wait and try to eat more. All of the guides I've been given and my doctors say they want us to eventually only eat 3 times a day without having Protein shakes.... given we can only hold 2oz of food in our stomachs, it is more realistic that to get the correct nutrition throughout the day WITHOUT added Protein shakes/bars we would naturally have to eat more than 3 times just to maintain proper nutrition for a bariatric diet.

SO as I am still a noob, I won't continue my diatribe.... but will hope that others have some awesome input and experience that I can learn from!