Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was it worth it Pro's and Cons

I'm Heidi Leach and I am coming up on my 1 year surgiversary I am on the fence with my feelings on my surgery and my weightloss. After looking back on my YouTube page I started thinking about everything that's happened to me from the day I decided enough was enough and I needed help and talking to a friend finding out about the fact that my insurance covered it fully I remember my first call to setup an appointment for an initial consultation fumbling to even know what to say as the woman asked my information...now I feel like I could be an office assistant or spokes person for his office and this surgery...I talk to everybody about my surgery and how it has effected my life. My pro's and cons I have with my surgery and before I has my surgery...like how before I has surgery I couldn't take a walk with my family without a cheer team pushing and pulling and dragging me through this half mile trail. It use to take me over an hour to walk half the trail...it is a firgure 8 trail and I only would walk the lower I part of the 8 lol now I can jog the whole trail for as long as I choose.

I don't follow..what are you on the fence about? Sounds to me like you now have a chance to live a full life without missing out.

I am 4 years out and as a result of maintaining this massive weight loss I feel like the sky is the limit. The only sadness is for the decades I missed out on so many things, including being active with my kids.

I just posted my journey from start to today, you can look it up if you want. I can say I love this "new" life this surgery has given me:)

Edited by grandmaofone

I feel like your post got cut off half way. It sounded like you were trying to make a point about downsides to the surgery at a year out, but you only list one example of a pro and no cons....

I'm sure most of you know of my story, but for anyone that doesn't here it is in nutshell:

My S.O. was adamant about me NOT having WLS. After much praying and soul searching I had my sleeve surgery. My S.O. committed suicide that morning.

After 4 1/2 years of denying my surgery not only to the outside world but to myself, I am now ready to finish "my journey"----for ME.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is that there are no, --can not be--any "cons" for me. To surrender to any con's would put me back into the dark abyss that I have slowly crawled out of--blaming myself and feeling guilty about John's suicide. It was NOT my fault. It was HIS decision. At first I grieved and mourned for him. Then I was pissed at him for leaving me alone in this world with "no one by myself .

Now, I have FINALLY realized that I have ME. If I can complete THAT journey, there is nothing to keep me from finally completely my Quest with-- my sleeve by my side.

There is nothing but pros for me, my WLS friends. I am all enthusiasm and gumption. I may have falter coming out of the gate, but I'm in full stride now.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is keep everything in proportion. Do not let anyone or anything distract you. Stay focused on your goal and let your little candle light the room!

My goodness @valentina. What a thing to go through. My heart huts for you but I am so impressed by your strength. You're right, it was not your fault. Suicide can only be the voice of the person who takes that route. You deserve a full, happy and healthy life.