Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody using BMI Utah (Bariatric Medicine Institute)?

I have an appointment at BMI Utah (Bariatric Medicine Institute) and I'm looking to see if anyone has any experience with them.

In Utah but looking into Mexico surgery because it is so close. Why utah? Just curious!

I'm in Utah and I have insurance, so no need for me to go to Mexico.

I am going to the BMI Utah clinic. I saw the physician on January 20th to start my process.

Edited by lovemybody

I went there a week ago, and I really liked it. You can tell that they have a lot of experience and know what they are doing. I liked that so much of the process is in-office, as opposed to running all over town for appointments. I also like their online patient portal. It's a little clunky, but it's nice to track where I am in the process, and know that they are too.

I agree about the portal on their site. I would like to see it broke down a little bit more. I would like to see specifics like when my labs arrive or if they got my medical records. This way I can track down the necessary information accordingly. I love my Dr. Knowing that he is one of the top bariatric doctors in the country is comforting. As of yesterday all of my information has been received and now is in the review process before it gets sent to the insurance. I am nervous of course that insurance will say I am missing something or get denied. Plus I am worried about how I can live on Clear liquids for 2 weeks when I struggle doing it for a day. How do people get through that process? I can go all day long doing very well at having broth, and Protein shakes but come 5:00 I am famished. I am hoping that I can get the surgery by the middle of March. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

I agree about the portal on their site. I would like to see it broke down a little bit more. I would like to see specifics like when my labs arrive or if they got my medical records. This way I can track down the necessary information accordingly. I love my Dr. Knowing that he is one of the top bariatric doctors in the country is comforting. As of yesterday all of my information has been received and now is in the review process before it gets sent to the insurance. I am nervous of course that insurance will say I am missing something or get denied. Plus I am worried about how I can live on Clear Liquids for 2 weeks when I struggle doing it for a day. How do people get through that process? I can go all day long doing very well at having broth, and Protein shakes but come 5:00 I am famished. I am hoping that I can get the surgery by the middle of March. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Hey, our stats are almost identical! Let's keep in touch.

In the patient portal, on the left side of the screen there is a button labeled Criteria. That's where they put all the requirements, individualized for you specifically. Each item gets checked off and dated. I've been on there every day to make sure things are moving along. I'm about to pester my GP again for medical records, today; it's the only thing left.

I'm worried about the pre-op diet. I will often drink what I call a super shake: a fruit, a vegetable (spinach or Kale, usually), plain Greek yogurt, Water, and sometimes a healthy add-in. I asked if I could drink this instead of Protein shakes; the nutritionist said that would be fine after the surgery, but not before. I've been getting into a more whole food diet lately, and I don't know how I'm going to choke down those fake Protein Shakes 3-4 times a day. Blech. Good luck to us both!

I'm hoping for mid-March too. Keep me updated. :)

Maybe we can share a hospital room :)

Lately I have been feeling so anxious. I can hardly sit still at work. If it wasn't so darn cold outside I would go for a walk.

I am so used to Protein Shakes that it doesn't bother me. I had bought some Quest Protein Powder a while back that I've started to use. I can only use 1/2 a scoop rather than an entire scoop. The stuff is so thick in consistency to help curb the appetite. However due to the thickness I struggle drinking the stuff. In the summer I poured it out on the lawn and it sat there for several hours. My husband had to use the Water hose to get it to thin out and soak into the lawn. What does that tell you. This can't be good!!! I have been slowly trying to adjust to a liquid diet. Most of my day is some form of liquid or Protein Shake and then I eat a meal. I think if I slowly transition over it will make those two weeks much easier. There are several online bariatric food sites that sell pudding, Jello and Soups with at least 15 grams of Protein in it. This really helps with consuming so much protein and yet providing variety. If you live in Ogden I can point you to a store that sells nothing but protein. If you live in SLC there is a place on state street that sells bariatric food too

Edited by lovemybody

I'm in Sandy. What's the SLC store called?

I'm thinking about getting some sugar-free Torani syrups to flavor the shakes. I also just got The Bariatric Guide to Perfect Protein Shakes. I haven't tried any recipes yet, but I am hoping it makes them edible.

Is it rude to call your PCP 5 times a day to check on medical records? It's seriously making me crazy. I submitted my request a week ago, and still no word that the records have been received.

Standard Restaurant Supply off of 3500 South and West Temple has an entire wall of syrups. They have tons of different flavors in large bottles for the same price you pay for small bottles at the grocery store. They have both regular and sugar free so be careful when reading the labels because the bottles look alike. They are open on Saturday's too. MD Diet 3655 South State has a small store inside their office building where you can buy bariatric supplies such as Protein puddings, Protein Drinks, flavored Fruit Drinks with protein, Soups and various powdered protein. They are typically open Monday-Friday 8-5 but I am not sure about Saturday's.

As for calling about medical records I did the same thing. They kept saying that they faxed it but BMI never said if it had come in and the site didn't update that information. Finally they received them yesterday along with my labs so now its in the criteria review stage. I certainly understand the frustration to get moving on the paperwork.

Im in utah, my insurance will not cover it so i will be self paying.my husband thinks we should pay the extra monet to have it state side in case there are any complications.If i have the surgery in Mexico, how does insurance work after surgery, especially if you have complications post-op? Will they cover anything if they think it's related to the wls?

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App