Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adding Calories to Diet Correctly

What is the best way to start adding calories??

My last Dr Appt with my surgeon, I was told that my weight was still free-falling quickly. He said that if I wanted to start tapering the weight loss down, which I do soon, that I need to start adding calories. I am close to my goal, and really don't want to go under since I am gaining muscle now too...just don't think I will look good under my goal.

I am going to gym at least 4-5 times a week with some heavy lifting as well as cardio now.

Need some advise from those on Maintenance......what is best way? how much and at what rate to add calories.

I know that everyone is different.

I have been at goal for 10 months and the best advice I have is to get to goal before you worry about adding calories. Your weight loss will naturally slow down soon and then it's going to be a real pain in the butt to keep losing, so take advantage of that free falling weight while it is still going that way. I had an absolute B of a time losing the last 4 pounds to get to goal and it took me 8 months to lose the last 24 pounds. Once you are at goal, I didn't add calories in any planned way. I just kept track of what I eat and now I am anywhere from 1400-1800 calories a day and don't have a terribly hard time maintaining. I am also a woman and I think you're a guy, so our calories are likely different. I notice that if I eat 1800 calories in anything other than sweets, my weight stays the same, however I can literally look at a cupcake and gain 2-3 pounds the next day. It is basically a system of trial and error. I pretty much eat whatever I want to, whenever I feel like it, but I keep track of everything in MyFitnessPal. I briefly gained about 7 pounds and it took weeks to get back to normal again, so everyday I weigh myself. On the days where I might be up a pound or two, I knock down the calories by a few hundred that day and the next day I'm right back to normal.

Basically what seems to work best is losing as much as possible as fast as possible before you hit a point where losing becomes very hard. When you finally get to maintenance, daily diligence and experimentation is the way to stay there.

I never measured or tracked my food or counted calories, so I can't give you numbers. But When I reached my surgeons goal I started adding calories in the form of more fat and carbs. I was already pretty maxed out on Protein calories. Switched from skim to 2% milk. Regular Greek yogurt instead of 0% fat. Switched from PB2 to real Peanut Butter. Ate more fruit. Traded a couple Protein Bars for some whole grain Kind and Ancient Grain bars. Started adding Kashi Go Lean Cereal to my Greek yogurt.

I ended up losing another 22 pounds, which was 12 pounds below my personal goal. I was actually getting a little annoyed because I didn't want to have to buy MORE clothes in a smaller size. But finally my body just stopped losing when it stopped and I've easily maintained within 4-5 pounds of my lowest weight for over 14 months. I would have been happy even 20 pounds heavier if that's where my body wanted to be. It's just a matter of figuring out what you are happy eating and what kind of lifestyle you are willing to maintain long term. Maintenance is boring, so you gotta like what you do.