Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3rd week post op misery

Hello all...I'm in my third week post op, the pureed and cream Soup phase-I feel awful...I am really starting to regret having the operation and wish I could have lost the weight on my own...I'm dehydrated and not getting enough Protein because I'm so over liquids...the very smell of soup, Premier shakes and the taste of Water are disgusting to me at this point because I'm all burned out...I know we're supposed to follow post op guidelines but is there anyone out there who tweaked their menu a bit to get some satisfaction from food the 3rd week? I know I only have a couple more days on the liquid diet phase but I just don't know how much longer I can stand it-is there ANYTHING else I can eat in lieu of this darn soup? Please help!!

You don't mention purees in the food choices you're so tired of. Throw some cooked chicken in the blender with some chicken broth and unflavored Protein powder. Throw canned tuna in the blender with broth and plain yogurt.

And of course you can stand it for a couple more days. You worked hard to earn the privilege of all these liquids, and they're the means to an end. You've got this.

Google Shelly's Ricotta Bake. You can have it on pureed and it's delicious! Try adding Crystal Light to your Water. When I was preop and wanted something sweet, I would add Torani Syrup (sugar-free) to ricotta cheese, mix well, and I swear in my little brain it easily passes for cheesecake or even cannoli filling depending on the flavors I used.

You'll get there!!

Soup, herbal tea, kefir (yogurt drink), Protein shakes, Protein drinks. This is the start of doing the mental work toward changing your relationship with food. YES, it's a pain, yes, the urge to chew is strong. Get your water/fluid in anyway possible; plain, herbal tea, crystal light, diluted apple juice. JUST DO IT. If you get dehydrated you run the risk of ending up in the hospital. I remember wanting to toss my shakes out the window. It sucks, but months from now it will be a distant memory. Finish out the liquid phase according to schedule.

Losing on your own is great.

Losing after the surgery is great.

Losing is great.

You have a tool to help you do that even better than ever, now. Getting satisfaction from food is an area to be mighty cautious of.

I remember that 3 week period like it was yesterday......because it almost was. 3 months now and I can tell you with absolute certainty that it gets much easier to approach daily living....but the weight loss rate that you'll be getting in those first weeks is intoxicating and I'll occasionally go back to 3-5 days of liquids only in order to bust through any stall periods.

Real food is coming your way soon. For now, heal up and focus on that early stage weight loss. There is no mystery to me why there is normally a stall at 3-5 weeks for folks......that time frame coincides with all of us transitioning off full liquids and we may be taking on more calories than needed.

Hopefully you have a NUT that can help you cut down on experimentation and stay dialed in on weight loss and reaching your goals and not backsliding with foods/calories/macros that don't support this.

It gets much easier in a very short time frame.......hang tough and stay strict for just a while longer. Heal up.

kaydeemacc

I am with you, I am about in the same stage as you, and I am SICK of the shakes and the Soup. I was on this diet 2 weeks before my surgery and now almost 3 weeks of this, so I am tired of everything. I even hit the "Stall" I've been reading about here.

I am just sticking to my guns, do the crap and counting the days down until I can eat something. Its all we can do.

You don't mention purees in the food choices you're so tired of. Throw some cooked chicken in the blender with some chicken broth and unflavored Protein powder. Throw canned tuna in the blender with broth and plain yogurt.

And of course you can stand it for a couple more days. You worked hard to earn the privilege of all these liquids, and they're the means to an end. You've got this.

Only cream Soups and chicken broth...can I puree ravioli?

Only cream Soups and chicken broth...can I puree ravioli?

I would advise against it. The simple carbs in the Pasta are not your friend, even liquefied. Besides it would likely trigger hunger and craving responses. It's tough but seriously, follow your nutritionist advice. If you are unsure, call or email her.