Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxious & getting cold feet

Hi everyone,

I'm scheduled to start the 3 week pre op liquid diet on Friday & I'm dreading it. I'm already worried I'm going to cave & be hungry. I've been replacing 2 meals for the last couple of weeks to try to transition easier.

My surgery is Feb 5 & I'm getting very emotional. I guess that's to be expected? One minute I'm positive & the next I'm wondering if I'm going to die from complications & start to tear up. I've thought about this op for years & decided a year ago that I'd do it & now I'm petrified of the changes.

I'm a tragic comfort eater & I think my heads all over the place because I've been making a concerted effort to stop. I was referred to a psychologist by the surgeon but she's on holidays.

I'm 32, 110kg (250ish lb), have Type 2 diabetes & a heart condition (dilated cardiomyopathy). I keep asking myself if I can lose the weight alone, but I don't think I can anymore. But the psych & surgeon keep telling me I can't put my life in the hands of others to fix me.

I can already tell the next few months are going to be emotionally overwhelming. I also worry when I read about people feeling more lethargic than they felt pre op & that some medication (like anti depressants) sometimes don't metabolize properly post op.

Sorry for the scatterbrain post.

Sally

@@sallo

Everything you are going through is perfectly normal, we have all been there. You are right the next few months will be emotional, hopefully most of it good emotions.

When you start to go through the process and your diabetes improves or is cured completely like mine, that will be a great day. It certainly won't hurt your heart condition either.

You may be able to lose the weight without surgery, the million dollar question is, can you keep it off or will you gain it all back and then some?

The best way to get through the pre op diet is to take it one day at a time, one hour at a time. After the first couple days it really does get better.

Keep your eye on the prize.

Think about all the reasons you decided to go this route in the first place, these will keep you motivated and moving toward your goals.

Don't let cold feet get in the way of getting healthy. I had bypass 15 months ago. I have lost 137lbs and am no longer overweight. I had type 2 diabetes, severe Gerd, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and stage 3 kidney disease among other things. All of those disease have either been completely cured or are in remission.

I take medications for an auto immune disease. With a couple of adjustments things are well in hand. Don't worry so much about malabsorption, just make sure you are aware and if you feel yourself going off course call your doctor. You have chosen to have the gold standard in WLS, this means there is a lot of data out there that can help you.

You won't regret this down the road, you will wish you had done it sooner.

You have a serious heart condition, this can only help you in the end.

Take a big deep breath and focus on your goals.

Being on a bariatric forum I hesitate to use this analogy, but it seems fitting here. I had a preceptor in grad school who used to tell many of his patient's "Life's like a buffet: you've got to help yourself."

Truth is no one can do this for you. You know you're reasons for originally wanting surgery. It's going to be a struggle but, like saying goes, nothing worth having is easy. There will be hiccups but ultimately this comes down to your determination.

My challenge to you is this: think of why you decided to have surgery in the first place. Me? My 4 yo girl was my ultimate deciding factor. I have been overweight my entire adult life and a majority of my childhood. This eventually lead to hypertension, elevated cholesterol, borderline diabetes, and fatigue. One day I finally decided it was selfish of me not to try everything in my power to lose weight and be around for as much of my daughters life as possible.

So, go back to that original motivator or motivators. Keep those in mind as your strengths and use them to plow through the mental road blocks.

Thank you both for your wise words. It really does seem like the best option for getting my health under control, and weight loss is just a bonus.

I suppose one of my other key goals is wanting to have children. I don't know if I'd even be able to conceive in my current condition, but I know I wouldn't have the energy level to do it.

I'm going to try my best to look at this experience positively and not focus on the food and what I'm missing.

Thanks again x

There is plenty of support here from many people who have had similar apprehensions. You've got this!