Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am considering trying bone broth. Do you make it? How do you make it?

I have done some research and have decided that the best way for me to attempt this is a crockpot version.

Being on my pre op liquid diet I am looking for savory flavors like crazy! Lol

My wife makes split pea Soup by adding in a ham bone and slow cooking it for several hours. So since you are on a liquid diet, it sounds like you are headed in the right direction by putting a bone in a crockpot to make a bone broth.

I have started to read about the benefits of bone broth....

I have it on hand as much as possible.

Roast a chicken. Pick off what you want for meals. Put the carcass in that crockpot with carrots, celery, onion, garlic if you like it, black pepper. Crock it all night. Wake up in the morning with some very healthy bone broth. Eat the veggies or save them for Soup.< /p>

From a bone-in pot roast or other beef bones (you can buy just the bones from the butcher at the supermarket) follow the same procedure as for the chicken bones.

Next time you bake a ham, save the bones and do the same thing.

I have not tried this with fish.

I make it several times a month. I make dry rub for a big batch of chicken drumsticks, then after we eat on those, I add about 6-8 cups of Water, the chicken bones to the slow cooker (have also saved bones from thanksgiving in a freezerbag with all the air squeezed out - the neck bones are particularly good for making bone broth and have very tender meat), dump in the ends of things like celery and onions (I throw them in a separate veggie freezer bag also as I'm chopping veggies and save up the bag until it's full), add a dash of either apple cider or red wine vinegar or lemon juice (supposedly helps break down the collegen/marrow) then cook on high for at least 12 hours sometimes just let it go on low overnight.

Roast the bones first (like in the oven or slow cooker) as that adds more flavor. It is perfectly fine to save the bones from a meal you and your family have eaten; they'll be totally sanitized/safe after boiling for hours. ;)

I let it cool, then using a fine metal colander, strain off the bits and bones and put the broth in quart containers and freeze. I use the broth for all kinds of Soups, chicken and dumplings...

Edited by FrankiesGirl