Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plateau or Danger Signs: What to Expect

I am three weeks post op. Lost 9 lbs with the pre-op diet, now have lost a total of 28 lbs. Doctor moved me to soft foods because I have had no problems with pain, nausea, or dumping.

But now I am getting worried. Have been on soft foods for a week. I thought I would only be able to eat a little bit per meal. The reality is that I am not having a problem eating more than that. I thought my body would stop me from eating more than a 1/2 cup or so. Is this normal?

I am feeling hungry. And I think I am grazing. . . not bad stuff, a little more Protein (cottage cheese, shaved deli chicken, peanut butter) but I thought the hunger would go away.

And I have not lost any more weight since going on soft foods. I haven't gained but I haven't lost.

Is this all normal or am I hitting a behavioral brick wall already.

I really didn't think that I would have to diet the rest of my life after the sleeve. I thought my body would regulate me, not my head. What is going on?

Stalling at three weeks out is completely normal and expected. That is not a danger sign. Neither is being able to eat more than a half cup of food -- you are on soft foods, when restriction is less, and your stomach is still healing from surgery, meaning you are not getting proper signals from your stomach nerves yet.

However, I do see a couple of danger signs. Tough love time:

1. You are choosing to eat more than a half cup per meal. You should be setting limits and choosing to stick with them, not just eating because you can.

2. You are choosing to graze. This is dangerous behavior for any sleever. You need to stop this right now IMO.

3. You are thinking that your body is going to force you to eat properly and that your mind and willpower have no role in this process. No. As everyone says, the sleeve is a tool -- YOU have to decide to use it.

For hunger, I would say if you are not on a PPI (such as Prilosec or Protonix) you may need to be on one. For many sleevers, this helps with the physical sensations that people interpret as hunger. If you are on one, you may need a different dosage or a different PPI. Consult with your healthcare team on that. Another possibility is that you are choosing to eat out of habit rather than true hunger, although honestly that doesn't sound to me quite like what is going on.

Yes, you have to choose to stick to a rigorous program in order to lose weight. It isn't easy. The sleeve will make it possible for you, but not easy. Good luck!

Stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the weight loss process. None of us lose at a constant or steady rate. We all stall and most of us experience a stall about three weeks after surgery.

Just follow your program. Weigh, measure and record your food.

Make sure you are getting in all of your Protein and fluids every day.

Take your Vitamins and supplements as directed.

Exercise when cleared.

And, stay off the scale! Consider weighing no more than once a week or less often if the numbers in the scale are going to make you crazy.

Embrace the stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

This early out, you are likely not getting proper "full" signals from your stomach. Remember, all of the nerves are severed when your stomach is cut. Do NOT rely on your stomach to give you proper signals of fullness and hunger only 3 weeks out. You should be measuring/weighing all of your food and eating on a schedule until you are healed and back on solid foods.

PS: 99.99% of people's weight loss stalls in the third week. It's called the Week 3 Stall.

4 weeks post op and currently stalled. Although I'm stalled, I am still shrinking & that's a good thing.

@innersurfergirl when is your birthday? I'm buying you a tshirt that says Embrace the Stall LOL. i can always count on hearing those words from you. I just love you to death!!!!!

Edited by rking

@innersurfergirl when is your birthday? I'm buying you a tshirt that says Embrace the Stall LOL. i can always count on hearing those words from you. I just love you to death!!!!!

I love you, too!

My birthday is in June but my sleeve birthday is in April. Since I am a Gemini it is only fitting that I have two birthdays!

You are exactly right!!!!