Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and Looking for Support

Hi everyone my name is Ronnie Rab; 29, 5'5", 250lbs and due in 5 days with baby 4. BMI 41; Ultimate Goals: 120-145 lbs and BMI 18-20.

I have Kaiser Insurance as of 01/16 and they are awesome. I went to a health education class on 01/08, info on health programs available including bariatric surgery. Right after walking out of the class I called the number given to schedule with the Dr and got in to see her 15 mins after!! That was great. I figured I'd have to wait a good couple weeks but she happened to have 1 opening right then.

I met with Dr. Miller. She was super nice. I have been researching the vsg for years so I expected the invasive questions about my hx, but it still hurts to think about it. She said based on all the information there shouldn't be a problem going through my insurance; huge blessing for me cuz I can not afford it!

Anywho, I have many medical issues, edema, bad circulation in my legs, gestational diabetes, Migraines, knee problems, chronic back pain, fatigue, exhaustion, enlarged fatty liver and spleen, and l'm probably forgetting something.

My only immediate support is my husband and mom. I'm not telling any other family members because they have always put me down, shamed me, etc. I have a couple friends I may tell about it but I'm not sure yet.

I'm looking for friends who are going through this too. I would like someone to talk to, that I can help too! If you're in Southern California, let me know. Maybe we can be each other's support. :-) I'm going to try to do the YouTube vlog thing too. I've never done anything like that so it's going to be. .. idk, but I know seeing others is helping me so why not. And it's a good place to vent I think. ;-)

That's me in a nutshell.

Welcome. ????

Congrats on the new baby! You sure do have a lot going on and we are all at different stages so you can get plenty of information.

My surgery is Tuesday and I will say the process yet long, has gone by fast.

Welcome!

Did your surgeon say you would need some time after your baby is born to have your surgery? I'm just curious.

Kaiser should have a support group for bariatric patients. I really recommend you start attending, it's a big help.

Congratulations and best of luck with your new baby! Sounds like you are due for some sleepless nights in the next weeks.

Welcome to this site. You are in the right place.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Welcome!

Did your surgeon say you would need some time after your baby is born to have your surgery? I'm just curious.

Kaiser should have a support group for bariatric patients. I really recommend you start attending, it's a big help.

When I'm at my first doctor she did say that it is unusual for me being at the stages being pregnant. That I would be looking into the surgery but I told her that I've been wanting to do it for a long time now but I have been pregnant for the last couple years so, amongst other things of course, have kept me from starting the process. They recommend against having the surgery immediately after having the baby and breastfeeding as it depletes the body of nutrients. I definitely have to build up my immune system and my energy stores in my nutrition stores before in surgery.

I attended a health information meeting and I was amazed that Kaiser does offer several different programs for health and weight management and the doctor also gave me a couple of referrals for two groups to attend which I plan on attending as soon as possible. I will attend as many support groups as I can because I don't have very much support through my family. I only have my husband and my mom so I'm definitely looking to meet new people, meet new friends that are going through this journey also.