Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a horrible Diet Coke addiction-like a 24-pack-case-a-day kind of addiction. I drank Diet Coke up until the day before surgery(my only pre-op was a low fat, 1600 calorie-a-day diet). Since sleeved, I have not craved Diet Coke. I was/am shocked. I couldn't believe it! I haven't tried any yet either-I'm still kind of terrified of the horror stories(both on here and in support group) about the super uncomfortable feeling. I have that enough when I eat too much too fast and don't want to risk it. Even with the amount I was drinking, the lack of caffeine now doesn't affect me-no headaches, sleepiness, etc. I guess I'm strange that way as in caffeine doesn't have a "typical" affect on me-I work at Starbucks and drank ALOT of espresso as well throughout the day(no wonder I was on 3 different blood pressure medications).I am doing just fine without it, and don't think I'm going to cave in any time soon. Good luck! I do know what a terrible addiction it is and how difficult it is to stop. I didn't do it pre-op and thank god that I couldn't even fathom haven't it after VSG.

I got myself off of diet soda by drinking the flavored carbonated Water that most grocery stores sell. I eventually got off of that closer to my surgery date, and just went to Water or Crystal Light.

I had one sip of soda maybe 2-3 months post-surgery, and it did not feel good at all. More recently I had some and was okay, but it's definitely not something I would try again more than once in a blue moon. I'm more than happy with Crystal Light, water, or tea.

I stopped diet coke 6 months before surgery (when I attended the seminar and was all hyped about surgery). I started putting sugar free Kool-aid (the squirt bottles) in my bottle Water and been doing that for 1 1/2 years. Love my Kool-aid. I keep all flavors on my microwave. I call it my Kool-aid choir. :P

I haven't had pop since but I occasionally have tea with splenda.

I stopped drinking soda July 4th of last year. I had just been to the seminar and was trying to discern if this was really the thing for me(although I knew it was). So I told myself that after surgery I couldn't have soda ever again, so I better leave it behind now to see if I could. I set July 4th as my Independence Day. The first day instead of 2 sodas each time, I'd go for just one. Then after a few days, I went to 1 soda a day...then 1 soda every other day and then to half a soda every other day and then at that point it was an easy jump off. Iced tea was harder. I was a mean ole bear for about 2 wks before I managed to get over the addiction to the caffeine in tea. It's worth it though. Now I only drink Water and Protein Shakes at 2 1/2 months out.

I was also struggling with this. I LOVE Diet Coke. To help, I just slowly weaned myself off.

Before I started the process I was drinking 5-8 cans a day! Then I went down to 3 a day, 2 a day, 1 every other day, etc.

Now, I just drink lots of Water and I stayed stocked up on all different kinds of Crystal Light packets.

I do still miss my Diet Coke but I agree with my NUT that this was also attributing to my weight. I stay motivated not going back to it by remembering how addicted I was. I was almost drinking a 12 pack a day!! Not good!

Stay strong!!!

I have given up diet coke several times in the past. Cold Turkey, weaning myself slowly, it never mattered. I always went back. To give you an idea of the depth of my addiction, I have a diet coke can and bottle collection from all over the world and a diet coke shower curtain in my bathroom!

I was so concerned by the stories I heard on here about going through caffeine withdrawal and having post-op pain that I gave it up before I even had my first NUT appointment! I did it slowly. I had already been trying to cut down so my first step was to drink 2 and only 2 -20 oz. bottles a day. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. Then I went to two 16.9 oz bottles. Then 2 -12 oz. cans. Then finally one 12 oz. can and nothing. At each step if I was still thirsty I substituted with Water. It still took almost 3 weeks for the head aches to go away after I had my last can, but I have been Diet Coke-less since August 1. Every time I thought about cheating or quitting, I thought about the potential pain post-op and stood strong. (I had never had surgery before so the potential of the pain was enough to scare the Diet Coke out of me!)

Good luck! You can do it.

pam

I have to say, this was such a challenge for me so long! I have been legit addicted to Diet Coke for years now, getting extreme headaches when I try to go cold turkey. So I've tried the "moderation" thing... and for me, to be honest, this was a total trainwreck of a plan. Because the first day you'll have just one. The second day you'll have another one, because what's one more? By the end of the week you're full on back to it being the primary drink of choice, which is what it was for me. (I seriously only drank Water when I exercised, otherwise Diet Coke!)

I'm happy to say that I've kicked it completely, going cold turkey. I waited out the headaches. The first days were excruciating. And then I realized I didn't have the headaches anymore, and when people would drink a soda in front of me - something that should have been torture - I realized I no longer wanted it! In fact, I was mad at it for putting me through so much!

So, if my experience can help you, I'd say DON'T try and have just one a day. Try to replace it entirely. If you need the caffeine, try tea or coffee. If you need the carbonation, try carbonated Water and berries or lime. It's tough, but I have to be honest that I feel so much better without having soda every day!

Good luck!

I had a bad, bad soda habit. I didn't have a pre-op diet, so I had my last Coke at 11 pm, an hour before 24 hours of Clear Liquids before surgery. I lost the taste for them and haven't tried a sip since. I'm determined not to let soda pass my lips again.

I grew up drinking Coke and sweet tea ( a total southern thing) and while I would have an occasional soda during a meal over the years, I grew out of really liking or needing the carbonation from Coke and soda. I really thought sweet tea was a much better (healthier) option than soda and it became my "poison" of choice when I turned 30. Prior to surgery last August, I really felt tea would be the hardest thing for me to give up. It's just so much a part of our culture here in Alabama and I had been drinking it daily for so long. Was I ever wrong....since surgery I haven't had any desire for it nor the associated caffeine that comes along its it. I think I've had maybe two glasses of unsweetened tea and that's it. I don't even consider a Coke or anything carbonated an option (but I do miss a cold beer sometimes when others are drinking). My day starts and ends with Water and it's rare I have anything else (other than some unsweetened almond milk). One other aspect to my surgery is that my kids have really slowed down on their request for soda and since I don't buy it anymore for consumption around the house, they only get it occasionally when we eat out.

I've tried quitting cold turkey and it's been so hard... I don't even know how much I was drinking but it was the main thing I drank everyday! :(

@@Lemm61

You can do it! Keep it up. I keep hearing that my skin is so much clearer since I quit Diet Coke. And overall, I would have to agree. :)

pam

Definitely wean off. I never drink diet anything as I think the additives are harmful to us. I love tea, iced. And I've been drinking that for years now. All kinds of teas out there. Experiment and find one you like. And now that we have Stevia, maybe that will help with your sweet tooth., but in moderation of course. You have to watch the carbs.

I was so disloyal. I regularly drank Coke Zero, Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, diet dr.pepper daily - I was addicted to the bubbles. But I quit cold turkey. I stopped buying them the day after my consult in December. My surgery is on Monday and I still haven't had one. Everyone's stories about the unpleasantness afterwards is motivation not to be tempted to revisit that bad habit.