Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exertion and energy levels

I'm not sure if this is normal after bariatric surgery or not.

When I exert myself for extended periods (over 15 minutes) or very hard (moving around very, very heavy things), I crash pretty hard...weak, shaking, light-headed, and I feel very, very bad for the rest of the day.

The best hypothesis I can come up with is that given my low-calorie diet, I don't have much in the way of ready energy reserves, since body fat doesn't make itself available to metabolize very readily.

Is this just the way things are now post-surgery, or is there a way to alleviate it?

How long ago did you have surgery? If you are newly sleeved you m Ed to be gentle with yourself for a while. You are recovering from major surgery.

Until you are recovered and able to get in more nutrition, I wouldn't do anything too strenuous. What are your post-op instructions?

Also, are you following your program?

Staying hydrated and getting in all of your program?

Have you started taking Vitamins?

Have you been cleared for strenuous exercise?

I'm 4 months out. I'm doing okay in most other respects...sticking to the program, drinking plenty of Water, taking all my Vitamins. Nobody's mentioned strenuous exercise, one way or another. Everything's well-healed.

Inner Surfer Girl, on 09 Jan 2016 - 11:32, said:

How long ago did you have surgery? If you are newly sleeved you m Ed to be gentle with yourself for a while. You are recovering from major surgery.

Until you are recovered and able to get in more nutrition, I wouldn't do anything too strenuous. What are your post-op instructions?

Also, are you following your program?
Staying hydrated and getting in all of your program?
Have you started taking Vitamins?
Have you been cleared for strenuous exercise?

I have experienced some of that but I'm only about 3 weeks out. As long as I'm well hydrated it's minimized though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am only 2 weeks and 4 days post op, and I have had that plus my pulse racing when I feel this way. It has gotten better with time already. But I read that this can also be the sign of anemia, which Iron absorption is something that we will have to watch. So, I plan on watching it and getting a complete blood work up in a couple of months.

Blood pressure and sugar are fine.

And...when I say I'm exerting myself, I mean that I'm working pretty hard getting to the point of feeling so bad. "Normal" walking and working doesn't do this.