Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one else become lactose intolerant after surgery?

I have never had a problem with milk before. Wasn't something I drank straight but never had any issues. I am two weeks out and am on full liquids. Tried making my Protein shakes with both FF milk and almond milk. Both don't seem to agree with me. I also cant seem to tolerate pudding or yogurt. I am hoping this is just temporary. Any one else have this issue?

I'm still pre-op but during my 7 months of education classes they taught us about this. It is very common to become Lactose intolerant. They recommend switching to Lactaid. You may eventually be able to drink milk again but they also warned that there could be other foods that you could no longer be able to eat. That we should introduce new foods one at a time.

I recommend trying Fairlife milk! Regular milk made me feel terrible (yet I tolerate cheese just fine), I saw small bottles of this as Target for $1.79ish and noticed it was lactose free so I figured it was worth a shot. It's awesome! It has almost twice the Protein per serving, much less sugar, more Calcium, and it tastes creamy. I was amazed. It's a little pricey at over $3 for a half gallon but it's worth it. My stomach had absolutely no reaction.

I am 11 days out from surgery and today had very bad reactions after eating yogurt and after having a pudding made with skim milk. I'm totally bummed since I don't want to be lactose intolerant. What are the chances of this passing?

I had no diet restrictions before surgery.. I did become lactose intolerant after surgery.. my lactose intolerance is not as severe as it was before.. I just can't drink milk shakes or drink straight milk (I personally like lactaid and it was recommended from my NUT)... I can eat cheese and drink premier shakes, for example though.

I was lactose intolerant for about 4 months postop. My surgeon said it's pretty common. I Used lactaid during that time. I was, however, able to eat cheese and Greek yogurt, but they contain much less lactose than milk. (And Regular yogurt has more lactose than Greek yogurt) I also couldn't tolerate artificial sweeteners or plain Water, but that passed after about 4 months, too.