Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, it's done. I paid the 1000. deposit to secure my surgery date at the Healthier Weight Centre in Manchester (UK). I'm all set for August 25th with Dr Franco Favretti. I am excited and scared to death too.

I have researched this for over 3 years and finally decided a year ago I really needed to do something. It's so easy to put things off and wait for the perfect time but the truth is there is NO perfect time. There will always be work and family stresses. Every day that I wake up feeling utterly grim and unable to function normally is a day lost.

Even now I spoke to Judith at the centre saying that now that I've committed to this suddenly I want to sit in a trough of food and stuff everything possible down my gullet before I have this surgery. I know I have to diet pre-op for two weeks. You want to know what really did it?

My dh and I are due to go back to my home in the states this fall. We talk all the time about what restarants we'll visit while we are there, etc. He loves to eat as much as I do....difference is, he's just one of those naturally slim people.

I suddenly thought, gawd, I've gained even more weight since my last plane trip and I BARELY fit the darn seat then. I mean, I was too embarassed to ask for an extender so I put the blanket over my lap and tucked the seatbeat around me, under it so it looked like it was fastened. I had to force the arm guard down and was in agony as it cut into my side and ribs. Thankfully my toddler had the seat next to me so my fat didn't bother him. I was bruised for days afterwards from that armrest. I plain flat out couldn't BEAR another trip when I knew darn well I couldn't fit. That fear alone won out over my hope to have one last vacation pigout before the surgery.

I guess it'll be nicer to go home this fall having just lost a few pounds and not listen to my family ask me pointedly when I'm going to do something about myself. (sigh):bored

It took me as long to finally take the plunge as well. I am having the surgery next Thursday. Best of luck to you - I hope you are keeping dry over there!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. As per the nickname, I am originally from New Orleans. I have a thing for black cats and have always named them "Voodoo". Cracks me up when I get to stand on my doorstep and call for the cat....scares the neighbors. hehe

Glad to know I'm not the only one who took this long to make the decision to do this. You'd think it'd be a no-brainer , huh. It really is hard to make that decision to change your ways , the money was secondary. It's a HUGE amount of scratch all at once and I told dh losing weight will cost him even more later on when he gets my CC bills. lol:whoo:

Hi Vodoo, welcome! I am glad I am not the only one who names themselves after their cat! lol...My cat was named after Jay & Silent Bob, so obviously I don't have her full name here! :eek:

Anyhow, congrats on making the committment! And DO NOT worry about the need to feel to graze. We all do it before pre op, trust me! I gained 7 pounds during my 2 week binge! lol...but when I get sad now of thigs I miss to eat I remember that week. I ate it all, trust me! :)

I'd forgotten that I made a butcher order before I decided to schedule this surgery on the 25th of next month. We came home last night and it'd been delivered. just tons of these huge steaks, ribs, etc. Here's my totally messed up thought process..... "Oh, damn, how am I going to eat all this in the next month?" lol My intestines will be hating me but doggone it, steak on the grill cometh!

The kitty name cracks me up, I get your jist.

loll...voodoo...You will be able to meat after you are banded....lol....girl....don't go busting a gut making it so you don't need lap band but reconstructive surgery! lol...

:) Yeah, my kids do not know the cats full name.....lol...