Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this the sweet spot???

I had my second fill two weeks ago - I've had a problem eating many foods. I can eat tuna & chicken salad, as long as it's in a paste consistency, mashed potato, meatballs, wheat thins & cream cheese and of course ice cream. I can't eat much of anything else. I tried a little bit of very moist and lean steak and I couldn't eat that either. Is what the "sweet spot" is suppose to be like, not being able to eat a good variety of foods? Could it be I'm a bit over filled and need some removed? HELP!

Sherri

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

I just had my first fill Monday and the doc specifically said that I needed to be able to eat solid meats consistently or else I would need to have some Fluid removed. He said to have occasional issues with meat is to be expected but that over all, I should be able to eat small, well chewed bites of chicken. He also said that when we're too tight, we'll revert to a 'soft' diet and weight loss will slow or stop. SO, from what you're describing, sounds like you may need a slight unfill.

It sounds like you definately are overfilled. You should be able to get down well chewed, moist Protein solids. I went thru the same thing in January and ended up borderline anemic. Dont be afraid of getting Fluid removed. I actually started losing weight again once I could eat regularly. You'll know when you've reached your sweet spot. You'll be full but you wont feel sick. It's taken quite a few try's with me but I am just under 1cc (16 months post op) and its just right.

I agree with musical mamma. You should be able to eat solid Protein. If you can only eat soft protein you need a slight unfill. How is the weight loss coming along?

I agree, although I have never been over filled, but if I cannot eat a variety of foods, I will get some taken out. I think it is important to keep on losing weight to be able to eat variety not just a few certain foods day in and day out. That is boring for one thing and for another, you could of done that by yourself without banding ( and probably have with some of the diets out there). That to me is not what the band is about. Of course, I have way too many posts about people who eat only mushy things and never eat any solid Protein, and they seem to like it that way.

I had my second fill two weeks ago - I've had a problem eating many foods. I can eat tuna & chicken salad, as long as it's in a paste consistency, mashed potato, meatballs, wheat thins & cream cheese and of course ice cream. I can't eat much of anything else. I tried a little bit of very moist and lean steak and I couldn't eat that either. Is what the "sweet spot" is suppose to be like, not being able to eat a good variety of foods? Could it be I'm a bit over filled and need some removed? HELP!

Sherri

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Berry:

I believe that I am in the same boat as you. I am filled to 1.6cc's I am having a difficult time with chicken, meat, pork ( i don't eat them now) Everytime I have, I end up getting them 'stuck'. I can also eat, chicken salad, egg salad, mashed potato, rice pudding, ice cream, meatballs, hamburger meat.< /p>

It is really strange for me, as I don't fill up so quick, I can definately eat a cup of food or more. And drink comfortably, but that meat eating is just choking. I really don't know if an 'unfill' would be in my best interest though.

I have lost approximately 50lbs and have stalled there.

I've been playing with 5lbs on and off this month.

Please let me know what you decide.:cry

I think 2 weeks out is a bit early to decide, especially since you seem to be okay with liquids and soft foods. It could very well be that you have irritated your stoma with your sticking episodes and it may take another week or so for it to settle down. I went thru all that with my 3rd fill. I was 2 weeks out and could hardly eat anything!! I was just about ready to get unfilled when suddenly things got much better. I am now 4 weeks out and actually think I might be at my sweet spot! Give it just a bit more time....maybe baby it for a couple of days with fluids and mushies. When you go back to meats take smaller bites, chew more, wait longer!! You know the drill!

I'm 6 months banded and just got my 3rd fill Thursday. I'm at 2cc's in a 4cc band. My weight loss is consistant, but I told my surgeon I was eating too much and not really satisfied. I'm doing everything I know to be right. SO,,,he fills me from 1.8 to 2ccs. Now,,,I cant eat anything with any substance. I tried some refried Beans with melted cheese and it felt like I swallowed a baseball. Everything I've tried to eat since has been painful. My question is,,,,when you feel too tight,,does it relax any after a few days? I have no problem going back and let him take me back down to maybe,,1.9 ccs,,lol. Amazing how little Fluid it takes to push you over the edge.

banded 1/29/07

Dr Ken Cleveland-CMMC-Jackson, MS

Deb - As you see from my post above, in my experience it can take up to 2.5 weeks for the 'real' restriction to show after a fill. Try full fluids for a day or two, then move to mushies for a day or two...then try solids in itty bitty bites.

That's my $0.02

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your advice! I decided to get some Fluid taken out. I'm back down to appx. 1.5 cc's in my 10cc band. I feel much better and can eat again. The only reason I liked the last fill I had with a total of 2cc's is that I felt full most of the time. I would rather deal with a bit of hunger than not eating much of anything.

Sherri

Thanks Terri!

I appreciate your redirecting me to your post. I think I was panicing and half-way read it the first time,,guess I just needed to spew out my feelings. This morning I got up,,fixed coffee and had a Atkins bar thingie. Of course it choked me half to death as I tried nibbling such tiny bits youd have to have a magnifing glass to see them. My wellbutrin feels like its stuck in my throat,,I mean above my adams apple. The good news is ,,,the coffee went down! hahaha Youre right,,,fluids for me for the next few days. My surgeon has never told me to do fluids right after a fill, but I've never had a problem until now. Thanks again!!

banded 1/29/07

Dr Ken Cleveland-CMMC-Jackson, MS