Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just beginning my journey....and new to this forum. :)

Hi! I'm hoping to learn a lot of information as I begin this process.

I had my first appointment at the surgeon's office this week. I'm having the required tests completed as I wait for my March appointment to speak with the surgeon directly, but the nurse practitioner seemed to think I am a candidate for the surgery. I'm excited and slightly terrified. I'm primarily considering the sleeve because I'm concerned about malabsorption along with the restricted caloric intake. I'll consider whatever options the surgeon offers, if any, but will make my decision based on what I feel is right for me.

I've been working hard this year to lose weight. It's more difficult with each passing year. I've been a yo-yo dieter all of my adult life. I'm hoping this surgery will be the tool I can use to stop that cycle forever.

I've always been an active person and the gradual weight gain over the past 15-20 years has really slowed me down. I just want to feel like me again. When I topped out at 320 pounds, I cried for two days. Fortunately, my blood work at that visit showed my thyroid that had been barely functional for years had decided to stop working altogether. The addition of a thyroid medication has helped my energy level and so many other issues. It's also helped me lose some weight since starting it.

I have no desire to be a Barbie doll. I'll be happy to be healthier. I just want to feel better and have my life back...to not feel like I'm judged when I go out to eat...to not hear other people's comments behind my back...for people to stop asking me if I've ever tried losing weight. (Why didn't I think of that!?!) I had a patient recently tell me "You're such a pretty girl if you weren't so fat." She honestly thought she was giving me a compliment. I cried in the restroom after she left.

In the past few years, I've been diagnosed with several co-morbidities- diabetes, hypertension, osteoarthritis, high cholesterol and triglycerides. Depression and anxiety have been sneaking in as well. I don't want to die too young. I want to see my kids begin their adult lives and maybe be a grandmother some day.

So....I've told a lot of my story. Probably more than many of you wanted to know, and most likely similar to many here. I'm looking forward to gaining some insight from the posts here.

Thanks for your time. :)

Welcome! You have come to the right place, lets clear you a spot on the loser bench. You will find this site to be very helpful, and if you have questions just put it out there. The only dumb question is the one that is not asked. Read some of the past posts when you get the time. You will find information about common stalls in weight loss and food tips to name a few.

Welcome! This is such a great site for getting info, support, and just sharing your experiences. I hope you find everything you need and are looking for here. Do not hesitate to post your questions and concerns. A lot of the same questions get asked over and over again, so you might find some answers through searching, but there's no harm in repeating a question either. So many people here are happy to help.

It sounds like you have decided on WLS for all the right reasons, so if you stay committed and focused, you should be very successful!

Welcome. There is always room for one more.