Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been at a stand stil for awhile now. My weight fluctuates, one day I can be smaller then next I've gained 2 or 3 lbs. I need help I'm not happy with where I am right now in my weight loss journey. I just joined a gym, first time since my surgery. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Are you tracking your calories and Protein? Are you getting all your Water in? I would say that the best thing to do would be to track all of your food and Fluid intake very carefully for a week or two just to get a sense of where you are and what's not working for you. Adding in exercise is super important. I'm surprised you haven't done that before now, but it's never too late!

For cardio, start with just brisk walking. If your knees can handle running, I would HIGHLY recommend the Couch to 5k program to work your way up to running. It's a great program that can take you from only running a minute at a time to running for 30 minutes straight in as little as 9 weeks (it took me more like 12 weeks). There are apps for it and a web site that outlines what you need to do each week.

For strength training, which is also VERY important, I would see if your gym has personal trainers available. You wouldn't have to meet with one regularly, since that can get expensive. But if you could just to a consultation with one where they do an initial fitness assessment and then set up a plan for you, that would be ideal.

How far out are you from surgery?

What can you do?

I would suggest making an appointment with your NUT to talk about your goals if you aren't happy with your progress.

I would also suggest you go back to basics and make sure you are getting in all of your Protein and fluids.

As to exercise, it is critical.

Find something you like to do. I am a swimmer so getting in the pool is my preferred exercise. Try different things to see what works for you and what you enjoy.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Your body is not a precise mathematical formula that calculates and measures your calories. It is a complex series of chemical reactions that vary wildly (and day to day) due to hormones, genetics, activity level, menstruation, age, gender, and a host of other factors. You will not lose weight in neat, exact increments, and often the journey isn't a steep slope, more ups and downs. Don't stress, don't lose sleep, your body will not defy science and operate on stubbornness alone (there is no one incapable of starving themselves to death). Eventually, you will lose weight so long as you stick to the plan.

Remember that fat is not the only thing coming and going in your body. There are a lot of other materials being shuffled around, reassembled, hung onto and manufactured (Yep, your body can manufacture just about anything).

If you're stuck, assess your plan (are you doing the recommended water/protein amounts?), chuck the bad stuff (eating too many carbs? Cheating, even if in small amounts? Eating one big meal instead of splitting things up?), and switch up your exercise routine (or start if you haven't).

Edited by BarrySue