Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not at all related to WLS but need my friends help - Why do you work?

I know this is a strange question. As some of you know I got laid off last week and I am in the process of going through interviews. I work in commercial insurance in a very specialized division and as it turns out, quite a few companies interested who sought me out. (Not bragging here. Just trying to set the stage.)

So I had a good interview yesterday that has some good perks such as working from home and a built in book of business and a pension plan (which is pretty well unheard of now), etc. BUT they don't have enough to pay me what I have been making in the past and it will be commission only. It has the potential to be more but in the short-run, it could be a little dicey. AND I wanted to be able to take my assistant with me and they definitely won't do that (again they won't pay - the problem is they are in a small town about 2 1/2 hours away where they can hire folks for much less than what is the going rate in Dallas.) I am waiting on another offer that would be local company, pay more guaranteed salary (at least for first 2 years while I build my book of business) and will let me hire my assistant but could be higher pressure and more difficult to build the business.

OK, that was a long explanation to say that all I day, I have been trying to figure out what I want out of work - other than the obvious of money. I feel like work is actually a very social thing for me and I wonder if I will miss out by working at home. (I live alone...) I worry that leaving my assistant behind (who is also a great friend and has been my biggest support during this WLS journey) is letting her down. (She was offered another position in our company when my position was eliminated.) Anyway, I am rambling. I am just trying to sort out if there are enough benefits or if I will get enough out of the work from home job that makes up for the potential of less money in the first couple of years. I know I can do a pros and cons list but I am looking for more than that. You know, what is your purpose for working? What do you get out of it?

Not sure if all that makes sense. Just thinking out loud I guess.

Well, you don't have to like your work to take pride in your work.

I am retired now, but got laid off a couple of times over the years, and fired once for being "too nice," My policy always was - if I can't do what I want to do, I do what I can do.

So, I guess what I am saying is that you should make a list of your transferrable skills and maybe look for something entirely different from what you were doing.

Oh, I forgot to mention that anything you do while you are between jobs should be considered as "Resume Bait" So, don't just sit idle, even if you have to volunteer for something. It will look better on your resume than a block of idle time.

Great question. I was laid off of my last job and have been on disability since then. Since I have had WLS I will be returning to the wok force and one of my biggest projects will be exploring what I REALLY want my career/work life to look like.

I did a little bit of this after my layoff, but was so limited due to my obesity and mobility issues, I couldn't really dream big.

Once I am back on my feet (literally and figuratively) the sky is the limit.

Since your job was eliminated do you have outplacement assistance available to you? If so, I HIGHLY recommend you take advantage of those services, even if you accept a job in the near term.

Best of luck with your decision.

I wouldn't take the work-from-home-for-little-pay job.

The reason I say that is I was underpaid for years. Now that I'm being paid appropriately, my life is so much easier. I also enjoy my job very much.

Just in the way you describe it, I think you would be happier with a local job with your assistant, even if it is higher pressure.

I have the option to work at home. When my daughter was in preschool through kindergarten, I worked from home. 1st grade I went back to the office. Working from home can be very lonely. In 1st grade I would work sometimes from home, but by 2nd grade I was in the office full time. My doctor changed my meds this week and I didn't feel well. I was going to work from home today and ended going into the office. I like the social interaction. I think it's a personal choice. But working from home isn't always so wonderful. It can get very lonely and boring...

I have always worked and taken my career very seriously (perhaps too seriously). I am an engineer and now own my own company. I work for a variety of reasons:

1. Independence. Although I've been married 31 years, and we have a joint checking account, it was always important to me to be able to support myself.

2. Self-esteem. Being an engineer is part of who I am.

3. Making a difference. I enjoy, both through engineering and my volunteer work, making a difference in the world.

4. It's fun (most of the time) and it challenges my mind.

5. I can do more things with the money that I make. We paid for both our kids to go through college (including getting their Masters Degrees).

I actually really don't do it for the social aspect as I have found in the past it is a mistake to think that the people you work with are friends. Sometimes they can be (as you have been blessed with) but many times they are just proximal relationships and I'm careful not to get burned in that way again.

My perspective for what it is worth. Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Blessings,

Ann

Thanks so much to you all for the responses to my rambling. I actually like the work I do. It is so specialized that most others don't know how to do it, so I get to fulfill my people pleaser needs by helping others (clients) get their job done. (I don't like when I lose accounts but is what it is.) I will also have some traveling which I do enjoy. I like meeting new people or especially meeting people I have worked with for a while but never met. I do spend a lot of time with my sister and her family and like the idea of being closer to them during the day to be able to go to lunch, help with soccer practice, etc. instead of spending 2 hours a day driving to and from work. There is definite appeal in that. Either job should be pretty flexible (which I am used to) and (this is going to sound silly) but I keep thinking that if I can get any plastic surgery this year, I would be able to work from home while I recover with the one option. Maybe being at home so much would force me to get out and do other things (like volunteer) that would allow me to meet new people? I don't know. Again, rambling. My friend says it sounds like I am trying to talk myself in to the job. Maybe that's true. I guess I need to wait until I have the actual offers. (And since it is commission, it would eventually be the same amount of money - just not in the short term.) @@Inner Surfer Girl there is no outplacement assistance. (I wish there was.) I am in to this career years and make (or did make) very good money, so I am not really interested in changing careers if I can help it. (If I hated the work I do, it might be different, but I don't really. I hate the politics of it, but I think that will exist wherever I work.)

Oh and points for the smaller pay job - I had never met these guys and the day after the terrible tornados that struck our town the day after Christmas (my house was spared), I got an email from them just checking to be sure I was ok. I didn't even get that from the people I was still working for and had worked with for 7 1/2 years! See I think there is some appeal in working for a small family owned establishment? I think that says something for their personalities. PLUS they told me that they would honor the non-compete I have and make sure that I complied (so they actually seem to be very honest people). When I went to work at this last job, even with the non-compete, my boss pushed and pushed for me to give up account names from my prior employment so he could go after the accounts. I should have known then I was working for a snake....

A compatible culture and positive job environment are huge. I would take a little less pay to work with honest, genuine, caring people any day over a bit more money and working for jerks. The extra stress isn't worth it.

Unfortunately, I worked for jerks whose pay was lousy for way too long in the past.

Life is too short!

I read this earlier and thought about it. I could say alot of things about my career and the opportunities it has given me and my children, but in truth, I work because I don't know another way. I mean..I have ALWAYS worked. In recent years I have learned alot about fun, but working is what I was raised to do.

Hi there!

While working for the company I recently got laid off from I had the opportunity to work from home. I thought at first I would not like it and was really worried about losing the connections you make with others while working in an office.

Well, I was wrong. I absolutely loved working from home. I was much more productive at my job. My performance reviews were very high because of the productivity and quality of my work. Also my ability to socialize came from lunch meetings and other social events.

It also gave me the ability to go to things like the doctor or other appointments on my timeline. I found my ability to follow my diet was better as well. When I worked out of the corp office, I would skip Breakfast and lunch and would come home after 10 hours starving with a major headache. I survived on espresso coffees.

I actually hope that when I am able to go back to work that can find a job in which I can work from home. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

This link doesn't exactly address the question at hand, but it was in my inbox this a.m. and it may be of some use in some way at some time to some one. The LearnVest website and another, Levo, which may be from the same outfit, are pretty much intended for women and focus on career/work/money and the like. I can't speak of the quality of either site (they really don't resonate for me at my advanced st/age) and someday I may take time to unsubscribe. Right now, though, I'll be glad if they serve anyone else here.

http://www.learnvest.com/2016/01/4-things-to-do-when-laid-off/

I love working at home. No commute, great freedom. I have a virtual team of 277, but I don't have to deal with all the HR costs. And after converting my dining room into my office, I have the best light during the day and a great deal of space. Won't go back...here's a link to what my office looks like.

"https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=919C44DFA0312E0D&resid=919C44DFA0312E0D%211913&authkey=AFBnlZI5iLMLf68"

I work in the commercial insurance industry and have been dealing with noncompete issues after changing companies. Having a company helping you avoid issues is a fantastic perk . It sounds like you want the at home job to work out. I say give that one a try! If you don't like it, there will be other opportunities down the road.

I have worked from home since late Dec 2008. It is a mixed blessing. I LOVE no commute, time to do my horse chores during daylight and the ability to talk to my European colleagues (skype, phone) at the crack of dawn (well, before the crack of dawn!) without having to have detangled my hair. :) In the summer it is great because it stays light so late, i have practically a full day after work to horse around, do my chores or just enjoy the sunshine.

Down side, although i talk alot over the phone, I miss the energy and excitement and socialization I used to experience as part of work. Trouble is that MOST of the people I work with now aren't even in my timezone, much less in the same local office...