Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting enough protien/calories/fluids in to be able to work with trainer at gym

I'm obviously not doing what I need to pre-workout....b/c tonight sucked. Now I do have to preface that I walked on the treadmill for an hour before I met with my trainer...first part of trainer went well....but last 15 minutes were pure torture.... I had to tap out--I thought I was going to either puke or pass out and wasn't sure which. Any tips of what I need to make sure that I'm getting down to make sure that my workouts are meaningful. Before surgery I was already meeting with him and I was a workhorse at the gym.....it sucks to be on the other side of things.

I'm 6 weeks post-op.

Edited by Steph Anie

Your subject line -- is it a question or a statement?

ARE you getting in all of your Protein and fluids?

Are you drinking Water throughout your workout?

Please remember, you did just have major surgery and your body has gone through a shock and is still healing. It may be unrealistic that you can pick up right where you left off before surgery.

You didn't specify how far out you are from surgery. That's pretty critical information, since how much and what you can eat is very dependent on how recently you were sleeved.

I had to really push myself up to at least 800 calories a day before I tried any more intense workout than walking. Less than 800 calories and I just did not have the energy for serious exercise. Once I was able to work out, I found that a good Protein snack with some carbs before a workout helped get me through. I would mix 15 grams of this:

http://www.naturevalley.com/nv-products/oats-n-honey-protein-granola/

with a container of Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt:

http://www.lightandfit.com/light-yogurt/light-and-fit-greek/raspberry

And that really helped. Post work-out, I found I needed sugar to get my blood sugar up, otherwise I was dizzy. So I would eat 5-7 Gummy bears. Then I would follow that up with a high Protein dinner about an hour later.

I'm 7 weeks out from surgery---I'm thinking you guys suggestions about calorie intake could be the problem. I'm cleared for a pretty normal diet and while I try to eat real Protein (meat/cheese) I'm still doing lots of Soups and mushy foods b/c they go down better. I think I'm going to try adding a 2nd Protein Drink in each day to keep my Protein up. I'm working on fluids, but they have been a real struggle (I was doing really well until hubby got into a wreck 3 weeks post-op for me--and then I messed it up pretty good and feel like I'm starting over). I am just so worried about wasting this early time away by not being in the gym hardcore and working this gift for all it is worth!

I was specifically told not to have Soup anymore after I was moved to solids. It's basically a way of "drinking your calories", which we're told to avoid. Plus Soup is LOW in Protein. I just had another reality check about that this past weekend. I've been sick with a head cold and really wanted some soup to make me feel better. My husband and I went through the entire soup aisle in the grocery store trying to find soup with Protein. Most only had 7 grams of protein per cup or less. I finally found some white bean chicken chili that had 15 grams per cup and bought that. But because it was chili and pretty chunky, I couldn't eat anywhere near a whole cup of it, so I didn't even get those 15 grams. Would have been way better off eating some meat!

For your fluids, there are some different things you can try to get more in. Try flavoring your Water with Mio or Crystal Light. Experiment with different temperatures of Water. For me, ICE cold water in an insulated bottle goes down really easy, but anything without ice sits like lead in my stomach or causes gurgling. I also do really well with hot beverages like tea and coffee.

I was specifically told not to have Soup anymore after I was moved to solids. It's basically a way of "drinking your calories", which we're told to avoid. Plus soup is LOW in Protein. I just had another reality check about that this past weekend. I've been sick with a head cold and really wanted some soup to make me feel better. My husband and I went through the entire soup aisle in the grocery store trying to find soup with Protein. Most only had 7 grams of protein per cup or less. I finally found some white bean chicken chili that had 15 grams per cup and bought that. But because it was chili and pretty chunky, I couldn't eat anywhere near a whole cup of it, so I didn't even get those 15 grams. Would have been way better off eating some meat!

For your fluids, there are some different things you can try to get more in. Try flavoring your Water with Mio or Crystal Light. Experiment with different temperatures of Water. For me, ICE cold water in an insulated bottle goes down really easy, but anything without ice sits like lead in my stomach or causes gurgling. I also do really well with hot beverages like tea and coffee.

My dr told me going back to liquids and staring over to get everything in was fine to work back to enough protien/liquids (I had gone backwards with intake after hubby had motorcycle accident and we spent almost a week in the hospital).....I upped my protein and that has really helped with getting fluids in and working back in some solid meals:-) Had the best workout ever yesterday--kicked booty :-) You are right about protien in soup....I've been checking labels too and the protien levels are not great....I found a lentil soup that had a good amount of protien, but he carbs were high :-( I'll switch my water temp and see if that helps-- I had gone to room temp b/c after surgery I couldn't drink anything that wasn't room temp or warm....but who knows--maybe my tummy can handle it again! Thanks for the tips!