Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shakes for weight loss post-op - why?

What role does Protein shake have in weight loss. I am 8 days post op and already tired on Clear liquids. Its not easy.

But I am scared Protein shakes, prescribed by my doc, will impede weight loss. is that true?

What role does Protein shake have in weight loss. I am 8 days post op and already tired on Clear Liquids. Its not easy.

But I am scared Protein shakes, prescribed by my doc, will impede weight loss. is that true?

The protein is what your body needs to continue to function properly. If you do not get your protein and your Water, you will find that your body will not let go of the weight. Which protein you use is up to you and once you move to non-liquid, you can eat Proteins. But depending on the amount you need per day, it still may be a struggle to get in the needed amount. So lots of people supplement.

Bottom line is talk things over with you doc and your nutritionist and follow their recommendations.

I have had a Protein shake every day since I started my preop diet 25 months ago. (With the exception of a few vacation days). 24-32 oz with 20-40g Protein each and I have maintained a 100+ % excess weight loss for over a year. So no, protein shakes do not impede weight loss. I guess they would if I drank 3 of them/ day on top of my regular meals, but the same is true of eating anything in excess.

I drink Protein Shakes 1) because I like them, and 2) because they are an easy way to help meet protein goals. Early on in the liquid and pureed stages, they are, quite frankly the ONLY way to meet goals. But even once on solids, I prefer to supplement with protein smoothies. This frees me up to eat more fruits and veggies and grains instead of just protein at every single meal. Not to mention that 100% whey isolate is the number one best absorbed firm of protein available....better than any animal or plant protein source.

Of course not all protein shakes are created equal. Read labels...some are actually loaded with sugar. Look for 20-30g protein and less than 5g carbs.

Edited by Kindle

Thanks for the inputs dear. I have been put on BariPro, (cream cookie flavour), which is okay. Though I am not really fan, especially the sugars have been putting me off - what I do enjoy though is taking it with cold coffee and shaking it with diluted milk.

I have had a Protein shake every day since I started my preop diet 25 months ago. (With the exception of a few vacation days). 24-32 oz with 20-40g Protein each and I have maintained a 100+ % excess weight loss for over a year. So no, protein shakes do not impede weight loss. I guess they would if I drank 3 of them/ day on top of my regular meals, but the same is true of eating anything in excess.

I drink Protein Shakes 1) because I like them, and 2) because they are an easy way to help meet protein goals. Early on in the liquid and pureed stages, they are, quite frankly the ONLY way to meet goals. But even once on solids, I prefer to supplement with protein smoothies. This frees me up to eat more fruits and veggies and grains instead of just protein at every single meal. Not to mention that 100% whey isolate is the number one best absorbed firm of protein available....better than any animal or plant protein source.

Of course not all protein shakes are created equal. Read labels...some are actually loaded with sugar. Look for 20-30g protein and less than 5g carbs.

This is how I understand it to work:

Our bodies need Protein to survive and are finely tuned so that if we don't get enough Protein it will shut down to preserve energy (basically going into a famine or starvation mode).

We do not store protein so if we do not consume protein, our bodies will use the protein already in our bodies, mostly muscle (including muscle in our organs like our heart).

Also, if we don't get enough protein we will stay hungry until we do and beyond. (For example, when you are truly hungry but only eat donuts your body will keep telling you to eat even if you ate the whole box because you didn't feed it protein). Not only will it keep looking for protein, it signals that protein is scarce and will store everything we consume as fat because it thinks there is a famine.

We are very efficient at storing carbohydrates and fat so as obese individuals, we have a lot of stored energy. We can go a long time without consuming carbohydrates and fats, but in order to convert our stored fat into energy we have to have enough protein (and enough carbohydrates and fats to make the process work).

According to my surgeon, I need 100 grams of protein a day for life so that my body can run efficiently and not think there is a famine.

Also, since protein is critical for healing, and building muscle, skin, hair, etc. it is especially important to get in all of your protein every day as soon as possible after surgery. My surgeon stressed that there is no physical reason for anyone not to be able to drink 3 Premier Protein shakes the day after surgery (which totals 90 grams of protein).

The bottom line: if you want to heal properly, lose weight, preserve muscle, not have heart problems, not lose as much hair, and for your skin to be in good shape then get in your protein.

Protein Shakes are recommended because in the first weeks after surgery they are the easiest and most efficient way to get enough protein and fluids as you heal. (You can count them as both protein and Fluid.)

Staying hydrated is just as critical.

So, to lose weight and heal properly:

Follow your program.

Focus on getting in ALL of your protein and fluids every day.

Take your Vitamins as directed.

And exercise when cleared.

I know it is hard, but the sooner you can get enough protein and Fluid, the sooner you will feel better and the more efficiently your body will lose weight.

What role does Protein shake have in weight loss. I am 8 days post op and already tired on clear liquids. Its not easy.

First of all, why would your doc prescribe anything that would impede your weight loss?

Second, your body has had major surgery, and it needs to heal. You actually have an increased need for protein while you heal because protein is the stuff that new cells are made of. You can't make protein in your body, and the only stored form is your muscles. Later on, when you have healed enough to eat solid food, you won't get all your protein in the form of shakes. But in the immediate postop period, you can't eat enough food to meet your body's needs.