Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Open gastric bypass?

Hi i am having gastric bypass on January 13th. I have researched everything i possibly could about this surgery but im having a hard time finding information about recovery time or experiences with having the surgery performed open rather than laparascopic. Has anyone had open surgery here and can you tell me about the pain, recovery time, ect.? Thanks in advance.

I have not but I am very curious about why they are performing an open bypass?

I do understand if you don't want to share.

My surgeon prefers to perform the surgeries this way because he has better control of the size of my pouch. I was a bit taken back when i first saw him and he told me this but as i have grown to know him, i have come to trust his opinion. He will also be removing my gallbladder and appendix (if reachable) at the same time.

mizzmegan I haven't had surgery yet (it's Jan 14) , but mine will sort of be open. It's called mini open surgery.

At one stage I thought I was having a Mini Bypass/Omega Loop due to my surgeon using the word "Mini", but I am definitely having Roux-en-Y.

My surgeon advised the incision will be approx 10 cm long about the length of my palm.

He said he expects the surgery to take approx 45 mins, so it means less time under anaesthesia and a quicker recovery, if all goes well.

I also have had 2 Cesareans, and those incisions were approx 10cm and I healed very quickly with both those of those ops.

Edited by WannabeH

@@WannabeH thank you. I have had one c section as well and i am hoping that the recovery os close to the same. The difference is that this incision will be vertical and longer. Im very nervous. Good luck with your surgery! I will be in for surgery the day before ????????????

I hope i can help. I had open rny. My surgeon also removed my gallbladder and i had a adrenal gland tumor and open allowed them to fully look around in there.

As for recovery time it can range from 6 weeks to 12 weeks and pain control is probably needed but it depends on your personal needs. I tried to be off of pain meds within a week. I just don't like to take pain meds.

An abdominal binder was a godsend for me it just felt like i was kept together and secure. I wore it for 4 months out of security. It was put on me before i even woke up from surgery. U will walk pretty immediately so you don't get blood clots. I was on blood thinners also.

As for the scar it doesnt bother me very much. I never really measured how long mine is. Probably about 11 inches. Let me know i can show you a picture if you want.

Hey. If they don't use a binder keep a pillow around in case you need to laugh, sneeze or cough and hold it to your tummy.

I do notice that i didn't seem to transition into eating as fast as the laparoscopic patients but i think it is because of the extra healing i was not worrying about eating. I just worried about getting in my fluids, Proteins and my Vitamins.

Good luck to you.

@@2006RNYhere thank you so much for your response. This is exactly what i i was hoping to see. Im having to go back to work at 2 weeks out, do you think that is unreasonable? And also where did you get the abdominal binder?

It depends on what kind of work you do. Personally i would try to take a little longer if you can. But at about 2 weeks i felt capable of doing everything minus extra bending and don't lift !

The binder was on me when i came out of surgery. You can buy them also at a home medical supply store.

Also i wanted to mention you might have some serious swelling afterwards for a couple days. So dont freak about weight gain. It will come off.

Oh wow, tell me about the "rough".

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Well the pain was very intense. I planned on going back to work after 3 weeks but i was out for 6 weeks because of pain and fatigue. I used pain meds for 2 months. A lot longer than most i have heard of. I ended up having a dehisence of my wound which means that my wound opened back up at the top and bottom and that took about 10 weeks to completely heal. My scar is not pretty but compared to my body before at 303 pounds i am pleased. Lol.