Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long term side effects... Is it all worth it?

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of deciding if I want to get the sleeve but I'm really worried about the long term side effects.

For those of you who are at their goal weight (or pretty close to it!), what negative effects do you still experience? Loss of libido, diarrhoea, reflux etc? Do the positives outweigh the negatives? Do you regret the sleeve?

I have zero long term side effects at 2.5 years out. I would have this surgery again every six months for the rest of my life if you told me I had to in order to maintain my new healthy, normal life -- but of course I don't have to!

Is it all worth it? My life is so great now and the trouble/pain/whatever it took to get here was so (comparatively) minimal that I'm not even sure I can formulate a rational response to your question :D Good luck in your decision!

I am not at goal, but from reading many, many posts in this site I haven't seen a lot of these side effects you have mentioned. As to reflux, if you experience reflux before surgery, your surgeon may suggest the bypass. As to the reduced libido, based on posts on this site, I feel it is safe to say that the exact opposite seems to be more common.

I am sure some folks with more experience and who are at goal can respond with more detail.

For me, the only side effects I have experienced are: increased mobility and regaining my life.

Best of luck with your decision.

i had a long pre-op (almost 10 months). I had already lost 65 pounds so I wondered the same thing. If I was losing weight on my own why do the surgery. I ended up doing some research and while they say that the only 4% of people keep the weight off- when it comes to someone who is obese the number goes down to about 1%. I didn't think those were very good odds!

I had my surgery a little over a month ago. I have had absolutely NO side effects. I feel great--don't really feel any different except my meal size is now restricted. Since I was on a preop diet for 1- months- this doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Ultimately, the decision is up to you. There is no guarantee that you wont have side effects but there is also no guarantee that you will.

I was sleeved in Aug of this year.As far as side effects, I have not had any, other the stalls( not losing for a couple of day or weeks). My pouch tells me when I am full. I think the hardest thing for me was not drinking with my meals. They tell us not to drink for at least 30 mins after a meal.

The change is for the best. Your benefits of a healthy new, for me at least out weighed the long term side effects..I am not sure what effect you are concerned about. It is not easy, but nothing worth anything isn't easy. As long as you are communicating with your doctors and your family for the support the risk to me is well worth it.

I have lost 40lbs., slowly. I just started the gym. I am 64yrs young..I have had two stroke, high blood pressure and other issue, most have gone. SO, to me, YES it is worth it.

The hardest part was the first week. Now, as long I do what I do, I am fine. Research and ask question and communication is the key, of course a great surgeon.

Good luck..Blessings

Theresa from Magnolia, DE

Just over two years out and at goal for a year.

No long term side effects except a very few foods/drinks that don't agree with me--carbonation, rice, soft bread and Pasta...and occasionally cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower) if they aren't cooked completely. Then I get an upset stomach.

I never experienced ANY of the side effects you mention honestly.

Going on 17 months post op, long term side effects may include:

Size 6 jeans

Running up to 3 miles

Zero medications

Improved quality of life

Looking and feeling 38 at 48

Lack of sore knees and hips

Able to climb a flight of stairs without being winded

Improved blood pressure

Improved blood sugar

Restriction when eating/able to eat less

Ask your doctor how!