Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass over sleeve

I had revision from lapband to bypass in December.I feel so much better.

Welcome @@Good apple

I initially went into the process dead set on the sleeve. I too had no compelling medical conditions, and was given the choice of either the sleeve or bypass. My BMI when l started the process was 46, but by the time I got to surgery it was a high 39.

I had a number of reasons for finally opting for the bypass. One was the GERD issues that some, but definitely not all, experience with the sleeve as post ops. There are even a few who have had to revise from sleeve to bypass for this very reason. I just didn't want to take the chance that I might be one of the unlucky ones to develop this issue. I don't think I could have handled the possibility of a revision down the line.

I also thought that I might benefit more having the restrictive and malabsorption components working together to help me reach my ultimate goal weight, and more importantly, maintain it. I had a very wicked sweet tooth and knew the mere "prospect" of dumping would aid me in keeping that in check. I was never really concerned about the Vitamin deficiencies as I've always taken them.

Now at five months out I can say in all honestly that I made the right decision. I feel better than I ever have, have more energy, and I'm only 22 pounds away from goal. I've never dumped, had no complications, an easy recovery, and I stick to a very healthy diet. I finally kicked a lifetime soda habit, don't eat bread, Pasta, rice, or sweets. I never could have accomplished any of this on my own, because I've certainly tried. I was always hungry before, no matter how much I ate, but now I'm in control of my life again. It is amazing, simply life changing. I feel reborn!

Either procedure is great. If the sleeve had been my only option I would have taken it in a second. But I had a choice and this was the best one for me. Good luck!

So much good info here -- thank you! I too had been assuming I'd get the sleeve but my surgeon recommends bypass.
Listen to your surgeon.

I went in thinking I wanted the sleeve because the idea of rerouting the pipes really worried me. I went to the seminar session and after listening to what my surgeon had to say and to what other people had to say, I chose bypass because of these reasons: the success rate, the solid 25yr+ research and history supporting the RNY's success. The fact that I wasn't going to lose 85% of my stomach which may come in handy later in life if I should develop esophageal cancer or severe erosion from GERD. The "spare" stomach left behind from the making of the pouch can be used to rebuild the esophagus. With the the sleeve, you are just SOL. The fact that GERD does often get worse with sleeve and the "cure" is to convert to bypass. Then there's the fact that I am a sugar addict and that the sleeve is only really effective at quantity eating control. My problem was multi leveled. I needed to find a way to control my sugar addiction(dumping is a good and scary deterrent to eating too much sugar), and it's a good deterrent against my other love of greasy food too. The whole thing just motivated me to go for RNY. I knew I didn't want to have another surgery down the road if the sleeve didn't work out. I don't regret my choice and honestly my rerouted pipes are much nicer than my non rerouted pipes. Really it was a lot more worry than I should have had.

You give me hope and the reassurance I have been looking for....thank you!

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App