Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know the Protein topic has been beat to death on here ...

But ...

I'd like to know if there is such a thing as too much Protein?

Is it bad if you get more than what is recommended?

I'm asking because I'm not getting enough ... and I was thinking of adding a 3rd shake a day to help ...

I kept telling hubby that I was losing my hair ... But he really didn't pay much attention to me ...

Until I wore a black shirt today and he picked off 21 strands from the back of my shirt ... That is AFTER I already got most of them off the front and shoulders ...

So now he's all over me to get more protein in ... and NOW ... So I thought I'd ask ...

Forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse here ... And thank you for helping!

This is a great question for your NUT.

I believe it is POSSIBLE to get too much Protein, but if you aren't reaching your daily target then one shake isn't going to put you in a danger zone by a long shot. Of course, this is just my opinion. I treat my Protein target as a minimum and not a maximum, especially if my protein is coming from lean/healthy sources.

I'm suppose to be drinking 3 shakes but found it was actually causing issues on the back end. I think everybody's body is different so sounds like one more shake a day would benefit you.

This is a great question for your NUT.

I believe it is POSSIBLE to get too much Protein, but if you aren't reaching your daily target then one shake isn't going to put you in a danger zone by a long shot. Of course, this is just my opinion. I treat my Protein target as a minimum and not a maximum, especially if my protein is coming from lean/healthy sources.

I was told by my PA that I was getting too much Protein at the 4 month mark. I was totally floored! All anyone seemed to say was Protein, Protein, Protein... LOL, turns out you can get too much! I had noticed that one of my kidneys was really starting to hurt and I thought I might be getting a kidney stone. I just backed off the protein a little (70-80 grams max) at her suggestion and everything settled down nicely. Some days I do still get as much as 90+ grams of protein (especially if I do a Protein Drink in the morning) but I have not been having any issues lately.

I have learned that you really have to just listen to your body. Some people need more protein, other less. I think Inner Surfer Girl typically tries for 100/day and that works well for her. I am one that does better if I stick to less than 80/day. :)

Yes, you can get too much Protein so try your best to get what your nutritionist recommends. I hit my Protein goals and still lost hair. From about 6-9 months and then it starts to grow back. One and only side effect I had with this journey. So I am not complaining. Good luck

~LA

My NUT recommends 0.75grams of Protein per kg of weight for females. Once I reach goal, my Protein requirement will only be 37.5grams per day.

You need to listen to what your NUT advises as they are making a recommendation based on your individual need.