Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chest pain after eating...

I just started eating soft food and I don't feel full, but instead I feel a pain in my chest like the food can't go down and it even hurts my throat and it is very uncomfortable. I do not get stomach pain or gas pain. It feels like in the esophagus and throat. Almost feels like I can't even breathe. Is this normal? Am I forcing the sleeve too much? Does it get better? And even scare to eat and having a lot of regrets and depressing feelings.

It's probably normal. Did you have a hiatal hernia repair? Just had my two week follow up and the surgeon said that the sternum pain is normal. It resolved for me by the first week unless I take too large of bites

Are you watching the size of the bites you're taking and taking a little break in between them? I find it feels like food gets stuck in my esophagus if I don't chew well enough or my bites are too big. If it still feels like things are getting stuck talk to your surgeon to make sure things are alright.

This was normal for me if I tried to swallow to big of a bite, the wrong foods or ate too fast. Gotta go slow and make sure anything you eat is chewed to mush before swallowing. I really found that using a blender on a lot of stuff helped as it controlled the urge to swallow too big of pieces of food.

m

That happened to me to in the beginning. I just made sure I ate tiny tiny bites (I used baby spoons and tiny cocktail forks for months-they helped me with the portion size of my bites). I also chewed my food until it almost disappeared in my mouth. I watched the time on a clock or my phone, waiting several minutes between bites.

This turtle speed eating was very annoying until I got used to it then it was second nature. Now at a year and a half post op I chew and eat almost normal again without any problems.

Good luck

Are you weighing/measuring your portions. I don't feel "full" with the sleeve like you may be used to. I go from satisfied to one bite too many.

As others have suggested: watch your portion size, eat slowly, take small bites, and chew thoroughly. You'll get the hang of it.

I had pain like you describe in the beginning as well, when I transitioned from clears to full liquids. My surgeon had me back off and go back to clears for a few more days then try again to progress. I had he same when moving to purees. Back off a little and progress real slow. Small bites, smaller than you ever imagined and eat/drink slowly. It is normal, and it will pass. Good luck!