Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had the sleeve surgery on 12/16. The first few days home were a little tough getting all the Protein and Water down but I did it. As I'm approaching my two week post-op date, I am having no issues getting all my Protein and Water in. There are times that I actually feel "empty" or hungry if I had to label it. I am wearing my Fitbit and tracking my daily steps. My daily total is almost to where I was pre-op consistently. (Prior to surgery during the 8 month process, I had managed to lose a total of 19 lbs. Since the surgery, I have lost an additional 9lbs.) The first week after surgery I was averaging a 1lb loss daily. However, starting about 1 week and a day after surgery, I actually gained 1.2 lbs. The only foods that have been added so far are things like creamed Soups and cottage cheese. What's up with that? Did this happen to anyone else this early in the process? My first follow up is this Weds (12/30) and yes I will talk with my team but I have to wonder how typical I am. Anyway, hope you all have a wonderful New Year and thanks for your consideration in answering!!

Edited by Jewel961

Put away the scale. Especially in the first month, your body has one objective: healing from the trauma of surgery. Just because you have a few steri-strips on the outside doesn't mean there isn't a lot of healing to be done on the inside. I don't know how many steps you are getting in, but your body has an increased need for Protein and calories just to heal from surgery in the first few weeks. It's possible you've started doing too much too soon.

I don't know about the weight gain, I had my sleeve procedure done on 12/21/15 and been very successful with loss, so far. However today I had some cream of wheat and although the it was very runny with milk, I think it expanded in my stomach and that was a nice adventure. I think each time we are able to add food, our bodies react differently and maybe retain some Water. If you have started to be more active your muscles may have taken on some water that will go away as soon as your glycogen stores have depleted as well. I hope you get it figured out. Keep us posted. I go in for my 1 week checkup on Wednesday as well.

None of us lose at a constant and steady rate. Right after surgery our bodies are healing and going through fluctuations. I suggest you weigh infrequently. I only weighed at my doctors appointments for the first few months after surgery.

Just focus on following your program. Make sure you are getting in all of your Protein and fluids, taking your Vitamins and supplements as directed, and exercise when cleared.

You will stall periodically. Most people experience their first stall about three weeks after surgery.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

I'm sure it will be frowned upon that I'm telling you this but this is what worked for me so here goes. At three weeks post op, I hit a stall that lasted about 11 days. I was right at 188 and didn't lose an ounce for 11 days. I was following the diet plan religiously and only eating Protein first then vegetables. I still couldn't eat more than an ounce (maybe two ounces) at a time. I wondered if maybe I wasn't getting enough energy from my food so maybe my body was in starvation mode and was holding onto all that fat. One night I had 1/4 of a baked potato for dinner then the rest the next day for lunch. The following day I was down 2 pounds. I know starchy carbs are a "no-no" but I think my body needed that glucose to convert to energy. I try to stay away from starchy carbs but I still lose when I do eat them. For me, moderation is key.