Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protruding Port

Guest Susie

Guest Susie

My port is protruding from my stomach. I keep trying to push it back, but it keeps coming out. It is not through the skin or anything, however hurts if I bump it. The skin is red and warm at the site. Anyone else have this problem???

Susie there are 2 members here on this site that had this problem.....Penni60 and Delarla

Send them a private message ..Im sure they can help you or answer any questions you may have

Susie, how long have you been banded? Red, warm skin is a possible sign of infection. If it's not cleared up tomorrow, Monday, you should call your doctor.

Susie, I've never been banded but as a nurse, any time I hear "red, warm to touch", I think of a possible infection. Are you running a fever? It would probably be a good idea to call your surgeon as soon as possible and in the meantime try to lie low.

Good luck. I hope it turns out to be nothing at all. :)

Susie: FIrst thing I am a Nurse as well. Second thing who did your surgery? I had a protruding thingy as well. I have a pic I will post. If yours looks anything like this then go to your doc and ask that the port be repositioned. The red, warm, and tender to touch are all signs of infection but thank god mine was NOT infected. IT could be irritation from the port rubbing on the inner abdomen which is what mine was. Please do get this looked at SOON as it can eventually break through the skin and then you would need to have the port removed until this area heals and then have another port placed.

One word of warning, if you doc was Dr. Lopez then find another doc that will repostion your port. He was my doc and when I had this problem initially he told me it would go away with more weight loss. THAT IS NOT TRUE!!!!!!!! I found a doc closer to home and he did a port revision surgery and told me it would NOT resposition itself and the surgery was imperative or it would break through the skin.

After my port revision I am doing GREAT. No protrusion and the area is flat like a pancake.< /span>

Here is a pic of what my protrusion thingy looked like. Oh by the way, the protrusion was where my port had tilted (I think due to improper positioning from initial surgery but can't be proven) and the thing you see protruding is from the tubing that attaches at the end of the port. The tubing was cut too long and causing this problem along with the port being tilted.

post-204009-13813131494823_thumb.jpg

Off topic: Penni, what flavor of nurse are you? I'm a pediatric nurse, and my eventual goal is to be a midwife so I'm trying to weasel my way into a labor and delivery position (in our hospital it's all part of the same maternal child department).

Susie, I hope you're feeling better today and that you can get to the bottom of whatever's wrong with your port.

Vickie I am a retired Cancer Nurse. I worked on the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit for 8 solid long years. Got really burned out and decided to leave nursing. At least for awhile. I have been out of nursing now for almost 5 years. Best thing I have ever done. I still maintain my license and have a Calif license as well as TN license.

Guest Susie

Thank you all for your support. I had this problem before. I was banded in January and the port started sticking out. I went to TJ, Dr. Martinez and Ortiz.... the greatest docs on the planet!!!! Anyway, had it repositioned in July. It is now doing the same thing again. I am really scared and don't want to lose my band. I love my band!!!!!

Susie

banded 1/26/04

5'2"

200/160....goal 125

Hi Susie.. What is the latest on your band? I am having a similar situation and decided to post within this thread because it is so recent and sounds like what I am expriencing. I am 11 months post op (-55). For the past few weeks, my port seemed to protrude more than normal, but I thought that was due to weight loss. Before today there was no pain. Today around noon, a dull pain started. It felt like the cramp you get in your side from running. Funny thing, if I slouch, no pain. If I sit up, there is dull pain. Yesterday I did a lot of situps--like 80 or so. Also I laughed a lot this weekend since my best friend was visiting from out of town. I know I sound like a total wimp/baby at best and hypochondriac at worst, but is it possible that this could just be a bruise/muscular thing or from the experience of other bandsters does this sound like a flippage/infection issue. I appreciate any wisdom that my fellow bandsters would be so kind as to impart... okay, all the best to everyone...

-g

12/2004

212/162 and counting

2.75 cc

During my first year, my port regularly got 'sore' with certain situations. Sitting, bent at the waist for long hours, wearing jeans that fit, anything with a waistband, certain activity - like exercise. I really think it's like the band itself, this thing has to seat itself in the tissue surrounding it and since we move alot at the waist, it just takes it longer to find it's place. My port was right on my waistline. It sometimes became very painful to wear clothes with a waistband that fit. Now, it has moved over more to the middle of my tummy, above and slightly to the left of my navel. It is much more comfortable now and I hardly ever notice it. Of course, if this persists or becomes seriously painful - more than a nagging reminder of it's presence, I would consult my physician. He may want to look at it to make sure everything is where it belongs. I feel your pain. Been there, done that.. :D I think it'll get better with time.

GLitz

I'm almost 8 months post op and I experience the same pain in the left side ( like I just ran a marathon) from time to time..I have asked my Dr. about this and was told it is normal. He said it is nothing serious and is most likely trapped gas or just a muscular strain from doing too much. I know I have no infection or flipped port since I just had my check - up last week and everything was fine. There are several women I have spoken to who also get the sideache pain..mine comes and goes..somedays I have it and other days I dont....

thanks for all your input. i just wanted to follow up on what the status is with my protruding port. it is still protruding but the pain has subsided. about 10 days after my inital post, i had some sharp pains and went to my GP. she thinks it is like a muscle pull or irritation. i have been careful with how i sit and not doing situps and i have not had pain lately. hopefully it is nothing ... best wishes to all the bandsters out there.

-glitz