Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

I'm in my early twenties and have struggled with my weight forever. I've tried every diet since my mom put me on WW at age 15. I've also tried so many workouts, including months of dedication to crossfit and boxing. I lost 50 lbs two years ago, when I limited what I ate to essentially nothing, and worked out nonstop. I've gained 90 since that time.

I'm currently at 265 lbs and 5'9, making My BMI 39.4ish...not 40. My only other existing condition to due my weight is terrible back and knee pain. I'm also learning so much of this process post-op is emotional and mental. Considering that, currently I am struggling so much with that. I've gotten a lot of hateful comments since not maintaining my previous weight loss. I could be a competitive emotional and stress eater. :P

My biggest worry at this point is that I won't be approved. I'm with BCBS, and in my talks with them I've learned I'm "covered to the highest extent." Also, that I will need the 6 month directed diet, and that I am only covered through one specific clinic. This is a large clinic that feels a little rigid. I've heard of friends with great, small clinics, that work with you 100% to do whatever it takes to get you covered and the best care.

My biggest concern is that I won't qualify, or that during some point during the 6 months I'll do something too well or not well enough and be dropped as a candidate.

Thanks so much, loving this forum so far.

Edited by locketsandcats

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery 31 months ago and I would recommend GB or sleeve over LB. I have encountered too many patients who had LB and later had to have a revision because of problems with LB.

You might also start attending bariatric surgery support group meetings. Generally these are held once per month and are free. That will allow you to meet and talk with people who either are undergoing this process or have recently had surgery.

I would not recommend Lap Band. I got mine in 2010 it worked fairly well but lots of reflux. Finally after 4 years my Dr insited it be removed due to esophagus problems. It was very disappointing. My Dr. said he removes more lap bands and never will put another one in. I am finally going to get gastric bypass in just a few days.

You need to really do your research on Lap Band before you choose it.

Hi everyone!

I'm in my early twenties and have struggled with my weight forever. I've tried every diet since my mom put me on WW at age 15. I've also tried so many workouts, including months of dedication to crossfit and boxing. I lost 50 lbs two years ago, when I limited what I ate to essentially nothing, and worked out nonstop. I've gained 90 since that time.

I'm currently at 265 lbs and 5'9, making My BMI 39.4ish...not 40. My only other existing condition to due my weight is terrible back and knee pain. I'm also learning so much of this process post-op is emotional and mental. Considering that, currently I am struggling so much with that. I've gotten a lot of hateful comments since not maintaining my previous weight loss. I could be a competitive emotional and stress eater. :P

My biggest worry at this point is that I won't be approved. I'm with BCBS, and in my talks with them I've learned I'm "covered to the highest extent." Also, that I will need the 6 month directed diet, and that I am only covered through one specific clinic. This is a large clinic that feels a little rigid. I've heard of friends with great, small clinics, that work with you 100% to do whatever it takes to get you covered and the best care.

My biggest concern is that I won't qualify, or that during some point during the 6 months I'll do something too well or not well enough and be dropped as a candidate.

Thanks so much, loving this forum so far.

Welcome. I've been on this forum for three years and it's been my place for support and solace. I've said things here that I've said no where else. What I can recommend for you is to do your homework and read up and investigate all types of WLS and go with the one that you and your doctor think will work best for you.

Much of this process and the success you will have is a combination of physical restrictions due to the surgery and the choices you will make day in and day out. Also..if you are having joint pain now, it will only get worse. I'm a cautionary tale as are many on these boards. I had both hips replaced due to degeration caused by genetic disposition..and carrying all that extra weight. The sooner you get down to a normal size, the better off your joints will be.

I wouldn't worry about the six-month diet. A lot of insurance companies require them to see if you can stick to an eating plan for a long stretch of time. So as long as you're compliant, you should be fine. Plus it's a good way to start prepping for the eating plan that you'll have *after* surgery - i.e., gradually changing your habits.

as for BMI under 40, some companies require documented evidence of co-morbidities if your BMI is under 40. So if your joint problems are well-documented, that might work......