Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I plan to have the LapBand surgery soon, but am worried about tolerating all the dietary restrictions. Someone said I had to peel fruit and vegetables to eliminate their skins. That worries me, because those skins have cancer-fighting chemicals in them. Is that true? What about other restrictions?

I was just banded a couple of weeks ago and I feel that getting down to a healthy weight is way more important than if the skin is on the fruit or not. If you are exericising and eating well, I'm sure that eliminates just as many of the cancer risks. You could get a food processor and chop/ blend the skins if it you really wanted to. I hope your banding goes well!

I can tolerate some skins, like on potatoes or stone fruits, etc but I cant eat apple skins.

I had the same worries though - I read everything on here and here there is a very Protein focussed trend, it really worried me since to me a chicken breast and a few vegetables does not make a healthy meal - personally I consider the vegetables the more important of the two foods.

I have continued to eat my way, I'm in Australia and we're not given the same guidelines anyway. Guess what? There's more than one way to skin a cat. I'm healthy, happy, normal weight, have all my hair and I most definitely dont eat enough protein by American standards. I'm also quite confident that I have a better long term outlook for bowel health and blood chemistry because I do eat carbs in good quanities - wholegrains, fruits and vegetables. If I can only fit so much in, I will always always choose my vegies over my protein.

I actually decided not to be banded initially because the protein heavy, vegetable poor (by which I mean quantity - in Australia we have a guideline of 2 fruit, five veg every single day) diet seemed unhealthy to me.

But I've found that you can eat any way you damn well please, as long as its healthy, lowish in fat, and low enough in calories and you exercise, you'll lose weight, barring of course that some people absolutely do have metabolic issues that are best managed by low carb diets.

That's not to diss ANYONE's dietary choices, its simply what I believe is relevant to myself and my lifestyle.

I also felt that mental health is an enormous part of our health in general and that achieving normality - giving up this stupid obsession with dieting, counting, foodwatching forever, for once and for all - was every single bit as important as achieving a healthy weight. If I have perfect nutrition but spend all freaking day obsessing over it, I have not achieved good health!

So I eat what I want, when I want, most of the time its good, sometimes its not, I use food appropriately - for nutrition and as a social custom also, I can partake of things like sweet foods and alcohol moderately and my diet is most definitely NOT perfect. But because I have made such gains in terms of the mental side of it, I'd consider my outcome an extremely successful one.

So I eat what I want, when I want, most of the time its good, sometimes its not, I use food appropriately - for nutrition and as a social custom also, I can partake of things like sweet foods and alcohol moderately and my diet is most definitely NOT perfect. But because I have made such gains in terms of the mental side of it, I'd consider my outcome an extremely successful one.

Jacqui

You are an inspiration:) - I was just banded 7/17 and still am on full liquids - can't wait for puree - I miss my veggies too.. also the actual protien of an animal or fish - I don't like the Protein powders too much -

You have done excellent on your weight loss - and what you said above says it all and you are the proof it works.

Congrats...:clap2: