Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

B-12 shots????

Several ladies in my support group are talking about their needing B-12 shots every month. some 2x per month! they talk about fatigue. Granted these people are bypass, but is that something we bandsters have to worry about??? what's up with that?

No, bandsters do not have to do the b-12 shots. I work with a lady who had Gastric Bypass and she slacked on her shots and then she started developing Kidney stones, she is back to giving herself her weekly shots.

Since the RNY patients have malapsorbtion issues, it is extremely important they take the b-12 shots.

I do take a multi-Vitamin, but B-12 is not a thing we bandsters HAVE to take,we can if we want, it does give more energy and I hear boost the matabolism.

That is actually not true - I am a lap band patient and my doctor does have me on vitaming B-12 shots every other week.... He also has me on Vitamin D every 3...

:) I look forward to my monthly b-12 shots. For the past three years I have had a woman doctor and she recommended them. I feel so much better and have more energy.

Sheila

I'm guessing that just taking B-12 in pill form is not enough? Is this why it is in shot form? Are there any side effects? Besides giving you more energy, what other benefits does it have?

It works within 20 minutes..Gives me more energy, more alertness, able to concentrate more, and generally happier and peppier....

sheila

That is actually not true - I am a lap band patient and my doctor does have me on vitaming B-12 shots every other week.... He also has me on Vitamin D every 3...

Normally, Bandsters are not required to take B-12 shots. However, your case might be different. ONe of the pros and cons to the surgery according to inamed lap band is this very subject, stating that with the band you are not required to take injections of B-12 since it is not malapsorbtion. Of course, there are always exceptions, as in your case. Does your doc say your are low on B-12? Or does he just give all his lapband patients B-12? If so, it is probably because of the many benefits of B-12, and he probably feels it will help in the weightloss area as well. As far as Vitamin D, not sure about that. I know that Vitamin D you can get from the sun, and many other things, but just wondering if you were low on that?

I just read an article on this subject of B-12 - if you can get too much? So many doctors, especially diet doctors (my old one), they give the B-12 shots and if you take it and not need it, is it dangerous? The answer according to the Medical web is No, there is no studies that show it is dangerous. Taking extra B-12 promotes energy, and studies show it enhances matabolism.

I recently had my blood tested and it showed I was low on Thiamin, which my doc said I needed Vitamin B-1. I'm currently taking a multi B liquid sublingual B-comples vitamin. It is full of all the B Vitamins, including B-12, but since I wasn't low on B-12, I was worried about getting too much, however, now I'm not.

Taking B-12 shots is normally not a requirement, however, if your low on a B-12, it should be, being low on B-12 can be dangerous. I'm sure there are some docs that require it just to be on the safe side.

I actually had low B12 and low B6 before surgery (diagnosed 10 months before surgery). I started the B12 shots bi-monthly and then would go to monthly then back to bi-monthly. I could not get my B12 to stay elevated. I was and still am taking to b Super Complex Vitamins. In May of this year I asked my PCP if I could start taking the B-12 sublingual and I did. My neurologist also then prescribed Metanx it is like a Vitamin but it has active B12 and Folic acid. Since I started taking these I no longer need to get the B-12 shots. I am also only taking the sublingual every other day (tab that disolves under the tongue). Point being that even after the Band Shots are not necessary and that I was able to get off the shots after surgery.

Everyone is different so some may need to take it and some may not. Many of the bypass patients in our support group can get by with just the sublingual.

Good Luck with your surgery and journey!

Normally, Bandsters are not required to take B-12 shots. However, your case might be different. ONe of the pros and cons to the surgery according to inamed lap band is this very subject, stating that with the band you are not required to take injections of B-12 since it is not malapsorbtion. Of course, there are always exceptions, as in your case. Does your doc say your are low on B-12? Or does he just give all his lapband patients B-12? If so, it is probably because of the many benefits of B-12, and he probably feels it will help in the weightloss area as well. As far as Vitamin D, not sure about that. I know that Vitamin D you can get from the sun, and many other things, but just wondering if you were low on that?

I just read an article on this subject of B-12 - if you can get too much? So many doctors, especially diet doctors (my old one), they give the B-12 shots and if you take it and not need it, is it dangerous? The answer according to the Medical web is No, there is no studies that show it is dangerous. Taking extra B-12 promotes energy, and studies show it enhances matabolism.

I recently had my blood tested and it showed I was low on Thiamin, which my doc said I needed Vitamin B-1. I'm currently taking a multi B liquid sublingual B-comples vitamin. It is full of all the B Vitamins, including B-12, but since I wasn't low on B-12, I was worried about getting too much, however, now I'm not.

Taking B-12 shots is normally not a requirement, however, if your low on a B-12, it should be, being low on B-12 can be dangerous. I'm sure there are some docs that require it just to be on the safe side.

I agree with you because many people do not need B 12 so it is a bit strange to give everyone b 12 after being banded. My surgeon doesn't do that. Perhaps it is a matter of preference amongst individual doctors.