Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NYer going to NYU med center

Thanks for the good words Kelly. I was shocked when I viewed the movie during the intro seminar and Dr. Ren said not only was he this morbidly obese kid in the pictures, he is a lap band surgeon, Lap-Band user & he is my husband! Good team they are..I can't wait to meet them hopefully soon. I have my nutritional meeting on the 30th.

I am soooo very happy for you!!! I'm waiting for you to call me with all the details!

My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Love You,

Maria

St. Tropez here we come :)

It's a busy practice, that's for sure. I've seen the waiting room so full that people were standing out in the hall. They've added another surgeon to their practice, Dr. Kurian. She also has an excellent reputation. That should help ease some of Ren & Fielding's workload.

I usually go to their satellite office in White Plains for my monthly followups. It's so much easier. I love that they do that. I believe they have different satellite offices in different locations on Wednesday's. I think White Plains is the 3rd Wednesday of the month. Fielding did my surgery, but Ren was always in White Plains when I went there. When I went last week, I was surprised to see Dr. Fielding there instead of Dr. Ren. I hadn't seen him since my surgery. He said that he and Ren are going to be alternating months in White Plains now. They are both very nice and I'm very happy with the practice. It was a good choice.

Congrats on your surgery Light Er NYC!

Debbie

Wow with all the business they are getting daily..they are going to wipe out Obesity in the state single handedly. I bet in a year or so we will see stats xbeing reported on the news that "OBESTITY IS DECLINING IN THE US>>>ESP NY AREA>> there will be all sort of diets that claim to be responsible.! I can't wait for LIghter in NY to come back and report to us :clap2:

Maria, Sooverit, Debi717 and all of you well wishers,

Thanks for all of your kind words!! I was thinking of you all while in the hospital.

My experience? EVERYONE was caring and professional. The nurses were very attentive. the anesthesiologist terrific(with a great personality,too) and Dr. Ren-love her!!! My operation was only 41 min. They told me my liver was small so I must have been doing something right.

The gas was extremely uncomfortable, my stomach was distended to the max! It felt like a giant beach ball! Breathing deep was difficult probably because of the Co2 pressing against my lungs during surgery.

I got up to walk around the hallways quite a few times.

The gas has been breaking up and breathing is gradually becoming easier.The incisions are a little sore, and I will be removing the bandages today. Need to rest for awhile.

Take good care of yourselves!!!!:girl_hug::girl_hug::girl_hug::clap2:

Congratulation.....well done LIGHTER IN NY!!!! :girl_hug: :clap2: Way to go! You're my hero...so happy for you it's all over. I know the journey too well now and you deserve your rest. Take good care of you and keep us posted! :girl_hug:

Congratulations Light ER NYC. You did it, and you did it well! I was impressed with the care at NYU too, I had that same trouble taking deep breaths after surgery. We must look like human balloons on the operating table with all that gas they pump into us. Well, you're on your way. Enjoy watching the scale go down!

Debbie

Hi, Kelly. I just reread your post and the word "omenectomy" popped out. I remember seeing that as a voluntary surgery choice when I filled out my paperwork to have surgery. How is your weight loss going? I remember reading that it's suppose to enable quicker weight loss. Is your post-op care any different because of it? Just curious.

We're leaving for vacation in about 4 hours, so if I don't respond to your reply, it's because I'm outa here.

Of course, my dog injured his leg running around yesterday, so we have to take him to the vet first. Depending on his injury, we may be leaving later than scheduled. He's my baby. I hope it's nothing more than a muscle strain.

I'll catch up with all your posts in a couple of weeks.

LIGHT ER NYC, stay well, enjoy your liquid diet!

Debbie :whoo:

Hi Debbie, Enjoy your vacation!! Sorry about yur doggie! The omentectomy just made the operation a bit longer and I had some extensive bleeding, so I did end up with a drain. Recovery was a bit more laborious but I as back to myself within 6 or 7 days. My weight loss has been fairly consistent. I was banded on July 6th and I have lost about 30 pounds. The omentectomy has contributed significantly to the improvement of my blood sugar levels. I was diagnosed with diabetes in Feb of 2006 and I could not tolerate the meds and was really frustrated. Since the operation, I have been off meds and my blood sugars have been significantly reduced. Dr. Fielding told me that I will most likely be cured of diabetes within 6 months. The omentectomy is the membrane of adipose tissue that aprons the abdonimal organs and is where the metabolic dysfunction occurs. As Dr. Ren put it, she removed a glob of fat. It doesnt reduce your waistline or have physical impact like liposuction or anything like that, in fact i think it only weighs a pound or two. I have been very happy since though!!

Hi Joan:

I was banded on 8/13 by Dr. Fielding at NYU Program for Surgical Weight Loss. My Surgeon was Dr. Fielding. His wife also does the surgeries (Dr. Ren-Fielding). They are very well regarded.

If co-morbidities if your BMI is as low as it is, which means things like.... sleep apnea, diabetes, among other things they consider to be co-morbidities, it will help to get approved. I don't know about your insurance but they probably require 6 months of monitoring by your doctor in terms of diet, exercise recommendations, taking your weight and food intake. Even if you have been treated for years and years for obesity, they don't care - they want the 6 consecutive months in order to consider you and pay for the surgery. They are very strict about this. At least Aetna was. I was denied 1 business day before my first scheduled surgery. I had to write my own appeal letter with all of the details I just mentioned. I wrote the letter and had my doctor sign it; and then I got approved. It was partially my doctor's fault why I got denied because of the fact that he wasn't writing enough every month on the medical report sheets; and they couldn't understand his handwriting anyway. So I did it in form of a letter with a table format for the entire history in his medical chart (since 1995) and that of course included the six consective months that they require. It has to be back to back for 6 visits (MINIMUM).

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

/nilsa

Wow, I did not know they were married! They must never get to go on vacation together!

They are a serious tag team! Dr. Fielding accepts some insurances that Dr. Ren doesn't and visa versa. They are really great surgeons.

Debi-Thanks, the liquid diet is just fine. I am really not hungry at all. Glad to have this opportunity to shed a few pounds! Hoping your dog is okay.

I am kind of disappointed that I am not feeling better yet. I wake up in the middle of the night with my mouth watering, very nauseous still. I called the nurse and she told me that I may have to come in to have Fluid removed from my band. I was under the impression that there was no Fluid in the band until the 1st fill. Anyone else experience this or know anything about this?:help:

Dear Lighter: I am so sorry you are still not feeling well. Try to remember this is temporary and it will pass soon. We will all send prayers your way for a quick recovery.

Do you know if you were given the new AP band? I think there is more restriction with that band right off the bat but I'm sure others here will be able to tell you more. Hang in there.

<FONT size=4>PS Are you walking around? I read on many posts that walking helps. Here's some info I have on the AP band.

<SPAN class=postbody>AP lap bands