Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved on 12/14/15

Well, my sleeve/hernia repair was completed on Monday, December 14th. It was very late in the day - I think the actual surgery started at 4:16pm (had been scheduled for 2:45pm). I don't remember much of anything from that day. I remember pre-op and being rolled into the OR, moving onto the table, getting hooked up to stuff, and nothing after that. I don't remember them even telling me they were starting the anesthesia. After the procedure, I vaguely remember my fiancé and parents talking to me and saying goodbye for the night, being in pain, not being able to open my eyes, and my pacemaker being checked. I do not remember going to my room at all. During the night, I was made to get up and walk several times and to use the bathroom. Tuesday was awful. I felt very nauseous and tired. I wasn't allowed to drink anything yet. I went for a swallow test, drank the barium stuff, and promptly started throwing up. I threw up all day, every drop of liquid I put in my belly, I threw up. It was very scary - weak, tired, dizzy, and scared. I was able to sleep for a few hours Tuesday night, and then Wednesday seemed to turn the corner for me. No more throwing up after Tuesday night, able to get all my fluids in, walk, use bathroom, etc. Ended up staying in hospital one extra night because I am on blood thinners and they were trying to get my INR therapeutic. Still not there, but working on it at home.

Currently, I am 6 days post-op. I have been pretty consistent with drinking my Protein shakes, hydrating with juice, Water, propel, cream of chicken Soup, and popsicles. I felt actually pretty great Thursday and Friday - showering daily, sitting in my living room rather than bed, and getting up and moving. By Saturday, I was exhausted, and spent much of Saturday and Sunday in my bedroom. I still showered, got up and walked, and worked on hydration, but just felt whooped. Today (Sunday), I slept a lot more, and decided to get up and shower- discovered i must have been dehydrated, as I saw stars in the shower and my fiancé had to walk me back to the bedroom and help me into bed. I then pumped myself full of a Protein shake, two popsicles, and propel. Feeling better now, but watching my intake much more closely.

So, dehydration is an issue, mild pain at my largest incision continues, and a bit of gurgling each time I take a sip, oh, and exhaustion - but other than than that, feeling okay!

sounds like you have crossed over nicely....congrats!

It is fascinating to me what they can do. My anesthesiologist when I had knee surgery told me he was giving me a cocktail that would not only be unlikely to make me sick when I awoke but would also cause me to never remember the last few moments before I went to sleep. I guess this provides an added benefit to the patient. I hope I get the same when I get my sleeve. :-) :-) :-)