Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Days PostOp- DH is So Sick! :(

Hi everyone. My DH and I are now 4 days post-op. We had surgery together so we could support one another, but unfortunately our experiences have been so different. I've had very little pain and absolutely no nausea. I feel like I could fairly easily go back to work tomorrow. My poor husband though has been so so sick. It started as soon as he woke up in the hospital and hasn't stopped. He's been dry-heaving for days. I have talked to our nurse and surgeon and been told this is more common in large men like my husband (he's 6'7") and that it just takes time. At this point they've given him phenergen, zofran, raglan and increased his zegerid, but he's still so miserable. He hasn't been able to start getting Protein in yet, but he is getting regular fluids down very well. I don't expect anyone to be able to solve this, but I'd be interested if anyone else has dealt with this and if so if there was anything that helped? Thanks for letting me unload a little. It's been so stressful seeing him so sick. ????

I was very sick for 6 days post op. I am a female, only 5'4" and was 243 lbs the day of surgery, so I definitely don't match his description.

I had the same issue. Lots of dry heaving. I was in a ton of pain and had severe diarrhea. The Dr did send me in on day 3 for a study to make sure there were no leaks, which there wasn't. I wish I could tell you something helped but I never figured it out. Day 7 I woke up with no dry heaves, and never had one again. My pain was significant for the next week, but then started to fade. Tomorrow I am 5 weeks post op and feel 100% normal.

Though I have no valuable advice, just reassure him it does get better. Hopefully it's right around the corner for him too.

I regretted my choice every day for 2 weeks, if he feels that too its normal due to how we feel. I no longer have regret. It does get better. My best wishes to you both!

Thanks so much for your encouragement HopeandAgony. It stinks that some people have no issues after surgery while others are miserable afterwards. I guess you just never know until you get there. Finally tonight hubby seems to be getting some relief. I'm not sure if it's just his body adjusting or the combination of meds, but we'll take it. Praying the reprieve continues!

DH and I both had the sleeve. His was done a month before mine so one of us would be there for the kids or to help the other when needed. DH has the sleeve of steel with no issues. I on the other hand landed in the ER due to dehydration. I spent time dry heaving too. I couldn't get my fluids in or eat.

Each procedure is different. The best you can do is support each other. For instance, if the only thing that he can have is sf Popsicles then have plenty on hand. Good luck.

Thanks NatureGirl. That's all I can do. And yep, I gotta shovel the Popsicles in him... Lol. We're now heading into day 9 post-op and he's still sick as a dog. Poor guy. It's got me at my wits end, but I'm trying to be patient.