Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eliminating Processed Food

Can't find a discussion on this so here goes. First off, I'm 6+ weeks post-op and doing fine.

I've been hearing and reading discussion elsewhere about eliminating processed food. This intuitively makes sense and a course I'd like to follow, one that's also a foreign concept. Matthew Weiner's book (recommended by a fellow bariatric) really hit home, though he seems a bit fanatical.

My, uh, biggest issue is cooking. I'm a single guy living alone working a lot of hours. Although I picked a horrible career of working in restaurants considering my affliction, I'm lazy in the kitchen and don't have the know-how or time to spend making anything more than simple dishes. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

I've also read Dr. Weiner's book. It is an extreme perspective but I'm sure it is effective. I can't quite go that full route, but have tried very hard to eliminate starches (potatoes, Pasta, rice), breads and other refined carbs from my diet, focusing mostly on Protein and vegetables, supplementing Protein when necessary.

It is very hard to adopt this as a 100% rule and is difficult to manage when eating out, in a rush, etc. That is not to say that I don't have an occasional sandwich or a prepared dish with some Pasta or rice once in a while, but in general I've found that trying to stay with lean protein and vegetables has worked well for me.

I rely on easy stuff.....now more than ever.

I find myself pressed for time lately due to work demands.

tuna in the pouch, hard boiled eggs, Premeir Protein shakes, fast food (throw away the bread......nothing better than a grilled chicken sandwich w/o the bread), etc.

Not much help for you, sorry.

Buy a slow cooker and chuck everything in, switch on in the mornings and it's ready for when you get home. Split into meal sizes and freeze them for another time. :)

Where can I find appropriate crock pot recipes? I never used one. [And what's a food processor, haha.]

Are Protein shakes considered processed? I still have one or two a day.

Google is your friend @gsusser.

Type in high Protein low carb one pot meals and see what comes up :)

Then make simple dishes.

Get a Foreman Grill so that you can grill meats easily and quickly - and it drains the grease off. Then all you need is some plain meat and keep a small assortment of Condiments, herbs and spices. Really, just salt, pepper, minced garlc in the fridge, onion powder, paprika, cayenne if you like hot stuff you know the deal - just a few that you like more than others.

Do get a food processor, a crock pot, and a blender. Right now is the best time of year because every place has them on sale. You will not get a better price all year.

A processor makes small stuff out of big stuff and mixes stuff better than you can by hand.

A crock pot is great for people who are gone all day. Just throw a buch of stuff in, put it on low heat, and dinner is done when you get home. You will find a ton of recipes online for stews and casseroles.

I use my blender almost everyday to mix up smoothies.

Here is the principal on processed food: as much as possible, do not eat anything made in a factory. You can have quite a variety with grilled meats and fresh or frozen veggies.

If you can, pick one of your off days and make up a couple of batches of food you can pick all week on. If you want something like a roll-up made with deli turkey and swiss cheese, make several at one time, enough to last a few days.

Get a Betty Crocker or Good Housekeeping cookbook that has basics for beginners and learn to cook. It will be much more rewarding when you can function with some basic kitchen knowledge. This new way of eating is important enough to learn how to sustain it on your own. Besides, a man who can cook adds several points to his "sexy" quotient.

Now , it is just as easy to fall in love with a partner who cooks, as much as it is to fall in love with a partner who can't cook. I can cook, but my companion of nine years is a much better cook. So, we settled into an arrangement where he cooks and I clean up. Fair enough.

If you work in a full service restaurant where actual food is cooked from scratch and fresh ingredients, befriend the chef and pay attention to what they say.

Cooking is not that painful or scientific and can be an outstanding means of personal expression and creativity, but you gotta start somewhere. So....Basic small appliances, non-stick pots and skillets, and Betty Crocker.

My grown daughters (ages 38 and 40) still call me once in a while just to clarify favorite recipes from their childhood. My personal favorite resource on line is the website for Taste of Home.

Also, keep this in mind to make kitchen clean-up easir. It is the primary rule of custodial science: Get it before it dries!

Good luck. You can glean some usable knowlege from us kitchen veterans, too.

I was never much of a cook either but I am trying to do more. I also have a small apartment kitchen (with no stove/oven). I am learning to do a lot with a microwave, toaster oven, and crock pot. I used a rice cooker a lot pre-op. Now I use it less often because I don't cook as many grains, but it is great for oatmeal, quinoa, etc. The toaster oven is great for cooking fish, meat, and vegetables under the broiler.

Check out recipes in Pinterest for sheet pan recipes in addition to crock pot recipes.

eliminating processed food?? - biggest issue is cooking

@@gsusser

6+ weeks PO

and still around to talk here??

that's good!!

many people don't eat processed food

or eat less of them

it IS healthier NOT to eat them

this grammy does eat processed food

cooking??? i mess up boiling a pot of water!!! :D

pkg of pre-mixed tuna is great

love my Dannon lite and fit greek yogurt

Quest Protein Bar as a snack-they CAN be a trigger for me - gotta be careful

in a bigggg hurry

pre-made btl Protein shake are great

swiss miss to die for!!

25 gr protein

i buy frozen foods/pkg

don't remember brand name)

i will buy frozen chicken breast

similar salmon pkg

pkg of 10 (6 oz individual pieces wrapped)

easy, easy, easy

delicious to me

i totally follow all the rules

protein, Water, carbs etc

luckily for me, processed food isn't a rule

crock pot is a great idea

you can find cook books for bariatric surgery

cooking for dummies (word bariatric is on the title)

there are also sitess on the computer

always can google bariatric foods

you'd be amazed at how many areas there are with suggestions/recipes

if recipes get complicated with too many spices etc

i usually omit them :o

good luck

kathy

Thanks for the comments and great suggestions.

I took a quick look for a crock pot and I'm intrigued by the smart crockpot, though it's probably for crackpots. -) ---http://www.crock-pot.com/slow-cookers/wemo-enabled-smart-slow-cooker/crock-pot-6-quart.-smart-slow-cooker-with-wemo/SCCPWM600-V1.html?source=igodigital

Like I said earlier, I know nothing about crockpots. What I like about this, though I don't know how necessary it is, is the ability to control it from anywhere. I spend up to 15 hours away from home sometimes at work and am wondering if being able to control it remotely would be a good idea. I'm all ears, and thanks again for the suggestions.

I am not familiar with using one of the newer crockpots but I want a multi cooker.

I think the programmable ones will let you set a cook time/temp and then will keep everything warm for a while.

I am not familiar with using one of the newer crockpots but I want a multi cooker.

I think the programmable ones will let you set a cook time/temp and then will keep everything warm for a while.

Here's my multi-cooker, a Kamado Joe BigJoe.

It runs at whatever temp I adjust it for.......smokes heavily or almost no smoke........grills, smokes, 900 degree steaks or 350 degree cakes.

Fresh Protein supply !!!!

NvPBzCE.jpg?1

Can't wait until next year......I'll be a hunting fool and loading it with freshly killed wild game !!!!!!!

Turkey season is up first......

Last question on buying a crockpot and I'll shut up (maybe!).

As someone who lives alone and will not use the device to death, which is better for me, a crockpot or slow cooker? I see the differences are minor. But I want to get this right. After way too much time looking around, I like this device, a slow cooker. But I have a lingering doubt about whether I'd be better off with a crock pot. And yes, my life is plagued by indecision, haha.

http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-Programmable-Touchscreen-SCVT650-PS-6-5-Quart/dp/B001KVZTFO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1450554833&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Cooker+SCVC600-SS#Ask

Pinterest has lots of Bariatric friendly recipes.

Also, if you are in the restaurant business, do you have the opportunity to ask a chef if they can help/mentor you with basics?

You can find much information on the WWW (youtube, cooing sites, etc) that will have basic cooking instructions.

If possible have a relative or friend that cooks and is willing to help and mentor you.

Last question on buying a crockpot and I'll shut up (maybe!).

As someone who lives alone and will not use the device to death, which is better for me, a crockpot or slow cooker? I see the differences are minor. But I want to get this right. After way too much time looking around, I like this device, a slow cooker. But I have a lingering doubt about whether I'd be better off with a crock pot. And yes, my life is plagued by indecision, haha.

http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-Programmable-Touchscreen-SCVT650-PS-6-5-Quart/dp/B001KVZTFO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1450554833&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Cooker+SCVC600-SS#Ask

Hi gsusser,

Crock Pot is just the name brand of a slow cooker. Just pick the one that has the features you want. Personally, I've always purchased the "Crock Pot" brand because it was the first of it's kind and has always been very reliable. Don't stress over it....a slow cooker is a slow cooker.