Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ladies#! Have a ? What should work for me?

Ok... My surgery is on Monday...It's about birth control... I'm active with my husband but not pregnant. Doctor told me I should be in birth control but I have no clue of which one is Good? It's first time having to make this decision? Condom might work but I'm allergic to almost everything.. So have to go little by little trying... I'm young so don't have any clue what should I do? Implants it's a no no no for me..???

Edited by ivettev001

I am guessing you aren't using anything now and aren't getting pregnant due to PCOS? Losing weight can make your periods regular and you may become fertile.

Best bet is to go to an OB/GYN and discuss your options. There are pros and cons for each.

Condoms come as non-latex if you feel that latex allergy might be an issue. I would start there until you can get on something different.

I can't take the Pill since it caused blood clots for me. Other people are fine on them. The pill is frequently a good option for PCOS patients as it can force your body into a set monthly rhythm.

IUD may be a good option.

I used to use the sponge but it was taken off the market. I have been told it is back on the market. If so, the sponge in connection with a condom is great protection.

I would ask your gynecologist what it best. I know there are lots of options, I had an IUD in a long time ago which worked fine. It was removed when I had my tubal.

The non-latex condom option could work, but clear that with your husband as he may not like the idea of having to wear a condom.

Some people have a depovera shot, however, some experience weight gain from it.

Why didn't you ask the doctor this when he/she told you that you should be on birth control. You aren't going to get solid medical advice from a forum. What is everyone suggested a certain type of birth control and it turns out that you're allergic to it? Please see an obgyn about this.

Lol, you're right, you are allowed to ask anyone, just make sure you also ask your lady-doctor. You probably should not start taking oral contraceptives before surgery because they pose a risk for blood clots. After that it depends entirely on you. I would also personally not advocate for condoms that are non-latex- the failure rate is high and they are just not as effective. Some people are good with taking a pill everyday at the same time and never missing a dose- I am not. As such, I have been on depo, the shot, for my entire adult life (14 years-ish). I have a healthcare background so my doctor just writes me an annual prescription, I pick it up from the pharmacy every three months, and inject it IM in my glute. Easy, peasy, and you never have to have a period again. It can though take you up to a year to get pregnant after you are on depo for awhile and you should make sure you stop taking it for at least one year at some point before your mid-30's whiile taking Calcium supplements. Depo interferes with Calcium absorption, but one year off of it, is enough for your body to catch up and you really have no long term related issues then. I love depo because I haven't had a time of the month in years, I only have to remember it every 3 months, and I have had no issues with it. Some people say it causes weight gain and mood instability. It makes you gain weight if you eat more, so if you don't eat more, you don't gain weight. I have been anywhere from 125-237 on depo and most weights in between- it has had nothing to do with gaining or losing weight for me. I have been at goal since April and still taking depo without a weight issue. Some people get cranky and depressed- I am just a general b*tch, so not sure if I have that side effect or not. Overall it's easy and you don't have to remember it often.

You then have implant options, depending upon whether you've had kids in the past or if you want to have them anytime in the near future. You can also use the NuvaRing, which is just something you place yourself for 3 weeks and remove the last week during your time of the month. I have a friend who loved that. I believe they still also make the patch, which I have never used. There is also the female condom, which is a mess, not effective and generally a pia. I think you can still get a diaphragm, although I don't know anyone who uses them anymore. Also a mess and not very effective. You then have your array of spermicides and foams which combined with other methods are ok, but not good on their own.

Overall, the best way to prevent against pregnancy is to use either a pill, patch, ring, or shot combined with a condom, every single time. Plenty of people swear by consistent use of only the female portion, but I like to make sure it's doubled up, lol. I don't need a crying baby anytime soon!

Ivette, I have a few friends that do the injections for birth control. Google a few of the suggestions and learn a bit about them. This way when you go to your OB/GYN you'll have a little knowledge of a few.

Good luck with it all. ????

I had an IUD(mirena) for 5 years, had it replaced and the second one became expelled. I am now on birth control pills. I could not take a regular combo pill because I am diabetic and had high blood pressure. I am currently taking a progesterone-only pill, called LYZA(norethindrone), which removes a lot of side effects caused by regular(estrogen) birth control pills. I haven't had any issues or side effects. Just a thought that you could possibly check into. Good luck!

I had an IUD(mirena) for 5 years, had it replaced and the second one became expelled. I am now on birth control pills. I could not take a regular combo pill because I am diabetic and had high blood pressure. I am currently taking a progesterone-only pill, called LYZA(norethindrone), which removes a lot of side effects caused by regular(estrogen) birth control pills. I haven't had any issues or side effects. Just a thought that you could possibly check into. Good luck!

Thank you Tera1982 definitely I will :) I will ask my Doc/Gynecologist. And find info if it will be great for me or not ;)

Edited by ivettev001

Lol, you're right, you are allowed to ask anyone, just make sure you also ask your lady-doctor. You probably should not start taking oral contraceptives before surgery because they pose a risk for blood clots. After that it depends entirely on you. I would also personally not advocate for condoms that are non-latex- the failure rate is high and they are just not as effective. Some people are good with taking a pill everyday at the same time and never missing a dose- I am not. As such, I have been on depo, the shot, for my entire adult life (14 years-ish). I have a healthcare background so my doctor just writes me an annual prescription, I pick it up from the pharmacy every three months, and inject it IM in my glute. Easy, peasy, and you never have to have a period again. It can though take you up to a year to get pregnant after you are on depo for awhile and you should make sure you stop taking it for at least one year at some point before your mid-30's whiile taking Calcium supplements. Depo interferes with Calcium absorption, but one year off of it, is enough for your body to catch up and you really have no long term related issues then. I love depo because I haven't had a time of the month in years, I only have to remember it every 3 months, and I have had no issues with it. Some people say it causes weight gain and mood instability. It makes you gain weight if you eat more, so if you don't eat more, you don't gain weight. I have been anywhere from 125-237 on depo and most weights in between- it has had nothing to do with gaining or losing weight for me. I have been at goal since April and still taking depo without a weight issue. Some people get cranky and depressed- I am just a general b*tch, so not sure if I have that side effect or not. Overall it's easy and you don't have to remember it often.

You then have implant options, depending upon whether you've had kids in the past or if you want to have them anytime in the near future. You can also use the NuvaRing, which is just something you place yourself for 3 weeks and remove the last week during your time of the month. I have a friend who loved that. I believe they still also make the patch, which I have never used. There is also the female condom, which is a mess, not effective and generally a pia. I think you can still get a diaphragm, although I don't know anyone who uses them anymore. Also a mess and not very effective. You then have your array of spermicides and foams which combined with other methods are ok, but not good on their own.

Overall, the best way to prevent against pregnancy is to use either a pill, patch, ring, or shot combined with a condom, every single time. Plenty of people swear by consistent use of only the female portion, but I like to make sure it's doubled up, lol. I don't need a crying baby anytime soon!

lol thanks for the information now I have more Ideas... I Did told my gynecologist that I want to start after surgery. Well after monday to make sure there was no future problem with the surgery ;) she schedule an app Dec 31 and told me to choose what I think is best for me. As Brand I dnt know but now I know there's plenty of options ;)

Ivette, I have a few friends that do the injections for birth control. Google a few of the suggestions and learn a bit about them. This way when you go to your OB/GYN you'll have a little knowledge of a few.

Good luck with it all. ????

thanks that's exactly what I Will do ;)

I have the Mirena IUD, good for 5 years and you can remove it at anytime you want to have a baby. I don't have to think about it. No hormonal side affects, no messy creams and I am really happy with it.