Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IUD is in Abdominal Cavity - what's it doing there?

I have had a lap band for 2 and a half years and an IUD for over 3. It is the 5 yr Mirena one. I did not know that there are strings that you need to check for and did not go for the yearly check ups - but come on no one is perfect.

I have had some issues for over the last 7 months with what I thought was my stomach. It did not seem to be typical lap band issues. I had an upper GI, 2 gallbladder tests, and an EGD (scope down throat) and a CT scan. All tests show negitive except the CT shows that the IUD is in my abdominal cavity :( - somewhere by the port.

I have had a HECK of a time getting someone to operate to take it out!!!! My lap band doc that does my fills says he is too busy. He referred me to a general surgeon. GS said it is an GYN issue. The GYN said that he did not feel comfortable doing it, (because of the band??) I did get another lap band doc that is a general surgeon to agree to do the surgery. I see him next week. My doctors office has not been good at finding a surgeon that will take care of the issue. I think that this is their job?

I am frustrated. I also don't know if this will fix the issues that I have had for 7 months. I have burning pain right below my ribs in the middle after I eat and sometimes when I have not eaten for awhile and am 'empty'. The pain is releived by ice cream, sometimes Malox, or milk. I can eat. I have no fill right now - for the past 3.5 months. I can eat but not very much and mostly I have reverted to a soft diet. I drink Protein Drinks and ice cream mostly. Sometimes the burn is easier to involk then other times. I just never know. I don't have GERD or heartburn according to the tests and the medicine for these things makes no difference.

I love my band :nervous but I find it frustrating that when any other issues come up you don't know if it is band related and then now it seems some other type doctors don't want to operate if there is a band in you.

My doctor says that this IUD should come out ASAP but the surgeons don't seem to want to take on the risk and the family doctor is not finding a surgeon but is leaving it up to me.

The IUD rupturing thru the uterous is rare but from what I read online it happens when the skill of the person inserting it is in question.

I had my IUD get attached to my uterus and had to have it surgically removed through my cervix. Not fun. They had said if I left it, it would have probably gone through the uterus. I had to see my GYN and she took it out. I had Kaiser. Whoever put it in should take it out.

The problem with me is that the strings were hanging out so far and were scratching. So they cut the strings and cut them too short!

If your GYN doesn't feel comfortable, they should refer you to a GYN who is able to perform surgury. My GYN was one of those, but I guess they all are not able to. Maybe you can get a referral, but with all my running around for over a year to get it out, it was a GYN issue. I was told whoever put it in was responsible to take it out.

Hope that helps.

My family doc put it in. Since it is now in the Abdominal cavity I am not sure that a GYN is the one that should take it out. I think that I want the other organs checked out to see if they have any damage. But I really don't know. The gyn that I was tried to hook up with was not comfortable doing it but I am not sure why. If it was the lap band or what. Thank you for your response. I just have never heard of this before and I am very frustrated about the doctors that don't want to take the 'risk' whatever that means.