Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone changed Surgeons after getting approved

Since June 15 2015 I have been trying to get the sleeve surgery. I have jumped through all the hoops imaginable including 7 visits with a Psychologist, CAt scans, Pulmonary, Cardiac and a 6 month supervised diet that ended Nov 23rd. Finally this week I have been told I am approved only to learn that the Surgeon has no opening till February. I am so upset as I was hoping and praying I would have this surgery before my 60th BIrthday Jan 24th. I am so disabled that I can't walk and this surgery was suppose to help me to lose the weight so I could get other surgeries so I could once again walk. I am so frustrated with all the delays with the insurance company getting referrals and having to wait over 1 month for some appointments only to be told I have to have additional testing done and needing to wait another month for a referral and an opening for those tests.

I am so ready to change Surgeons and see if another will take me sooner than February. I have all my clearances and approval. Has anyone changed Dr after getting approved and how soon after that change did you have your surgery? The Dr I have not only does the WLS but he also does all surgeries on obese people. I need my gallbladder taken out and possibly a hernia as well as the sleeve. What are your opinions on this? What would you do wait out the additional 6 weeks or more or see if a different surgeon would do the surgeries sooner?

I actually saw 2 other surgeons until I found the 3rd who actually performed my sleeve surgery. When I went to his office, I had all completed except the 6th nutritional visit.

His office was the one who did the final submission to my insurance, so I don't have a complete answer.

However, in my working with my insurance, I was told that as long as the surgeon and facility that the operation took place was 'in network' that I could change either of those two and not change my approval.

I did change the facility. The one I had initially chosen was closer to my home, but when it came time to schedule the actual surgery date, I was given the 'soonest' date for both. I chose the hospital further away because they had an opening 3.5 weeks sooner than the closer hospital did.

By the way, my surgeon would have done a hernia repair at the same time, or gallbladder, or both. My endoscopic exam suggested that I might have a small hernia needing repaired, and my 'approval' included doing the sleeve and the hernia repair. Turns out I didn't need the hernia repair upon internal examination while doing the sleeve, so I got out of the OR an hour ahead of schedule.

Good luck!!

Edited by WalkOnWaking

My friend has BCBS and she changed surgeons when she completed all the requirements and did not have any problems. The current surgeon just got a copy of her records. I don't think there will be a problem if you want to change surgeons but make sure you do your research and they are experienced. Also you may call your current surgeons office and tell them you are considering switching and ask them what are the chances you might get in earlier due to a cancellation.

There are no bad answers above but I would also call your current surgeons office and tell them you are desperate to get this done ASAP. Let them know you may see if someone can see you sooner and that might encourage them to work you in quicker. If that doesn't get you acceptable answers you might call another surgeons office that is in your network and just ask them what their scheduling looks like and how they would work with your situation. Asking questions won't hurt.

If all else fails, get it done in February. I am having mine on Jan 26th (fingers crossed) and we can go through it together.

Thanks for the replies back. I may just call a few Doctors who are more local to me. I found out yesterday that my Dr only does WLS on Thursdays and on Tuesday he operates on obese people for other problems. He was suppose to remove my gallbladder and do the sleeve surgery. Only doing surgery 8 times a month I guess he filled up all of Jan already. If other Doctors do surgery more than 8 days a month I might have a better chance to get mine done in Jan since everything is all done and I am just waiting for a surgery date with the Dr I have.

I'm thinking maybe you should call your insurance company & tell them what's happening. Find out if they have any requirements for example does the surgeon have to be part of a program that is considered a Center of Excellence.

You would want to know that for when you start looking into other Bariatric Surgeons. Maybe ask on this Bariatric Pal forum for some references to surgeons in your area.

I wish you the best. I had to switch insurance companies in the 5th of my 6 month insurance requirement.

What a pain in my a$$ that was.

Just a quick follow up to this posting. I stayed with the surgeon I had as the issue turned out to be not his fault. It was my PCP who was holding things up. Once I threatened to sit in his office until he gave me the medical clearance and I finally got it and had my surgery on Jan 26th 2016. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks post op and as of today I am down 21 pounds, my incisions are healing very nicely and I am not having any issues with the food I am eating. I was very pleased with my surgeon, the hospital and recovery. Since he does surgery for other things if I ever need surgery for something else he covers I will go to him.